Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
An Idea I've Got Floating in My Head >

An Idea I've Got Floating in My Head

An Idea I've Got Floating in My Head

Old 06-26-2022, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

Not "everyone" is against this idea.

However, I am more "for" using cardboard than plywood .

Old 06-26-2022, 05:03 AM

Default Ironing board spray basting

Our group just spray basted a very large quilt for a charity. We used the ironing board spray baste metho. I ve used this method for much smaller quilts. But on the one we used a long wide utility table . It worked perfectly. Look up you tube under “ironing board basting methods “.

Old 06-26-2022, 11:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by aggie View Post
Our group just spray basted a very large quilt for a charity. We used the ironing board spray baste metho. I ve used this method for much smaller quilts. But on the one we used a long wide utility table . It worked perfectly. Look up you tube under “ironing board basting methods “.
also possible to do this with Elmer’s washable school glue. I do it all the time.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:19 PM

bearisgray - I know, I was more talking about the ones that are against it.

I'm going to hit on some things that I think have gotten lost.

First and foremost, I would never just assume that I could go to my friend's house and take it over. I would ask if she would be interested, though since I've known the woman for 20 years plus what she's done for my family, I know what her answer would be.

I also wouldn't assume for her and her husband to cover any costs for this, I would cover the cost for plywood, would also cover the cost in gas to get to the home improvement store. I also wouldn't assume that he would do it all, though I know her husband, he would insist he do it, I'd still help in smoothing things out. Since the cardboard idea came up, a trip to Walmart would probably work to snag cardboard from them, again, I'd cover for gas. Thank you again, bearisgray, for coming up with that idea.

Since there would be additional people in her house, I would cover for food. Since there's four women working on this at the same time, I would suspect even when we had our stop and gab fests, it wouldn't take more than an afternoon, a full day at most. I'd order pizza, maybe some meat and cheese trays, even Subway if that's what it takes. No need to fire up the kitchen or grill, it would keep her place clean and I would help clear away any trash that would accumulate from whatever we decided upon.

As for the optional basting ideas - I'll look into them. But, if I were to take it with me on this visit, neither of those options would work, spray baste has a tendency of flying where it wants (where we would be working at, she has carpet and chiffon curtains nearby) and there's always a chance for an accident with glue basting, no matter how careful you are, that's why I chose thread.

I've only thread basted once, a square wall hanging. This is a large quilt, with scalloped edges and points. Would a compass style thread baste, north, south, east and west, then at the points in between those, then fill in as needed work best, or should I consider a more circular pattern with the stitches? The wall hanging I did straight stitches, would a herringbone pattern be better, or should I stay with straight stitches?

Whether I do this at home or I do it up there, that's the main question I needed some advice and tips on.

Old 06-26-2022, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

I would be in favor or of basting in a grid pattern , - maybe using herringbone type of stitching

since I tend to go for overkill, I would make the grid about three inches apart.

Also start in the center and work towards the edges.

i had a lot of overhang- quilt bigger than table- and I weighted the sides of the backing with long rulers to help minimize wrinkling of the backing.

I made a " casing for the rulers ( yardsticks, four foot rule, curtainv rodd) by folding the edges of the. A king over the yardsticks and pinning the fabric to itself.