Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ideas for Children

Ideas for Children

I have been asked to teach my granddaughters kindergarten class how to sew on the machine. My granddaughter started to sew on my machine at the age of 3 and has made 3 small quilts to date. Since the project will need to be completed in 1or 2 sessions, I am not sure what to do. I have a pattern to make napkins that when folded they make a Christmas Tree, and they are really cute, but if I do the decorative stitching around the edges it might take them up to 20 minutes per napkin per child. I thought these would be cute for them to make, but they would need to make at the very least 2. Any ideas any one has would be greatly appreciated. The things we do for our grandchildren!!

What kind of machine did your granddaughter learn on?? Curious since my GS was 3 in August -

A finshed product in two days...I would do a pillow case. Fun, useable and super simple! That being said whose providing the fabric? That makes a difference.
    *Rachel*

Janome 6500. I made sure the speed control was on slow when she first learned.

I will supply the fabric which I don't have a problem with. I did think about a pillowcase too.

Blog Entries
    What about making a placemat? Cut strips ahead of time out of Christmas fabric - really wide, then they can sew them together. Flip and Sew QAYG style onto a fabric foundation.

Make extra wide "binding" they can fold in half leghtwise, then tuck edges to center of lengthwise. With being really wide, and tucking into the center against the fold, even if they sew it on all wonky, it should still catch.

Make the length about twice as long as needed, so it can be tied into a bow at the top of the square to make a "gift box" placemat.

Maybe be sure that the fabric for the binding is near the center of the strips. Before adding the binding, add one strip horizontally across all fabrics (tuck edges under, they can sew on both edges to secure). This would add to the look of the gift box.

No. California. The foothills of the Sierras.
    Sounds like fun. My DGDs are to far away (MO) for me to be involved like that. Lucky you.
    Sue
    Face the sun and keep your shadow at your back.
    And it never hurts to keep an angel on your shoulder.

Blog Entries
    How about those cute tissue holders. They are so easy to do and you only need to fabrics.
    Main fabric 6 1/2" x 5 1/2", liner 7 1/2 x 5 1/2. There is a tutorial here, I just don't know how to post it on this new site yet.

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com...s/t/15617.aspx

Looks like the link came through! Enjoy!
    Last edited by lovingmama; 11-07-2011 at 06:13 PM. Reason: link
    ♥♥♥ Loving Mama ♥♥♥

If life gives you scraps, make an angel quilt out of it!

Why not make bean bags and have a box with a hole in the top that they can use as a target. It is obviously an indoor toss and throw game with each child making his bean bag to toss. Good to teach to sew, quick for their attention span, makes a game they can use indoors at school all year, good for coordination.

I taught Kinder for seven years. They would love beanbags. Maybe two each so they can play against someone at home.

Blog Entries
    having lots of grands, 2 of whom are in kindergarden, If I were asked I would tell them, that the kids are too young, and I'd be happy to come help when they are older.

The sewing machine must be supervised alot for safety. Many 5 yr olds are not going to grasp the sewing or the safety issues, and you are basicly going to have to do it for them. The attention span will not stick with a project long.

Sorry to sound negative, but that's how I feel. I have an 8 yr old DGS that couldn;t do it even with my help, I have a 6 yr old one that could, and a three yr old that could. The two 5 yr olds, maybe, if I helped alot. Your dgd probably is very patient and has learned from you spending alot of one on one time with her, that't not going to happen in a classroom with kids that have never seen a sewing machine.

Good luck if you go ahead, maybe you are more patient than me! That said, aren't grands just great!!!
    fatquarters

You know you love it! I agree that the bean bags would be a great project.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

What about a christmas stocking, precut, sew the two sides together, and fold over and hem? Maybe in Calico on one side so they can write their names on one side?
    Quilting is like parenting - you need patience, patience and more patience AND I WANT IT NOW!

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by peggy119 View Post
    I have been asked to teach my granddaughters kindergarten class how to sew on the machine. My granddaughter started to sew on my machine at the age of 3 and has made 3 small quilts to date. Since the project will need to be completed in 1or 2 sessions, I am not sure what to do. I have a pattern to make napkins that when folded they make a Christmas Tree, and they are really cute, but if I do the decorative stitching around the edges it might take them up to 20 minutes per napkin per child. I thought these would be cute for them to make, but they would need to make at the very least 2. Any ideas any one has would be greatly appreciated. The things we do for our grandchildren!!
    maybe you could just have them make one napkin and then do the old 'napkin turned into a parasol' for mother's day from the kids to their moms...i.e., napkin folded to find center, colored paper rolled tightly around a pencil and then taped and pencil removed. Flatten both ends of paper roll. place napkin center on tip of paper roll, pin into paper. pin each napkin point evenly around the paper and then divide the fabric in between evenly and pin those points into paper. now ribbon bow on handle, ribbon bow on top of parasol...the fact that these napkins were made by the kids in the first place would be perfect! And if you play with the sts and find the ones that look good with a slightly 'open' setting (faster to sew) and only give them those choices, it wouldn't be so bad and Mother's Day would give them a few more months to finish.
    Last edited by deemail; 11-08-2011 at 02:19 AM.

My only suggestion would be no matter what you pick - to walk in with the fabric precut. When I started to teach my kids that was the part that caused them the most problems.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Blog Entries
    tote bag or draw string bag
    book cover
    shorts or pj pants
    pj bag or pillow
    for a boy - make a nail pouch
    bean bags
    chicken pin cushions are fun
    chicken pin cushion can be made a bean bag
    dog bandana?
    print out dot to dot or a maze and use the machine with no thread
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie View Post
    A finshed product in two days...I would do a pillow case. Fun, useable and super simple! That being said whose providing the fabric? That makes a difference.
    This one's a good idea - especially if you make one the 'tube' way and it is like 'magic'.

I agree with FatQuarters. I think they are too young. How many machines do you have? It would take a long time for all the children to make something if you only have a few machines. I would have them get used to the machine without thread, and make a project when they are older. Maybe a hand stitched project. Only a few children are mature enough to sew at such a young age, and many of the children aren't able to pay attention long enough. A few are, but you would be dealing with 20-30 children. My DGS had 18 children in his kindergarden class, and the boys were very difficult to control. They had a very short attention span. Good luck if you decide to do this, and I hope you have lots of help. I vote for either bean bags or pillowcases.
    Sue

We have decided to make scarfs from fleece or minkie fabrics. This is at a Montessori school so I will only have 9 children in the afternoon. They have 3 age groups per class. I am looking forward to it and hopefully I will inspire a new generation to sew and hopefully take up quilting!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate the input!