Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for a design wall >

Ideas for a design wall

Ideas for a design wall

Old 05-13-2020, 02:02 PM

These are all great ideas! Thanks so much. For now, I'm following the suggestion to throw batting over the door. That's working except it can't handle anything too big. But better than nothing until I decide on a better solution.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I couldn't find a suitable wall in the house, but I have two attached garages. One is a 2-car, and that's where I park, but the other is a 1-car and I use it for storage. I got two insulation boards, covered them with heavy felt, and placed them against the garage wall, just above that footing that all garages seem to have. It's working out great, even though it means I have to carry my blocks downstairs and into the garage.
Attached Thumbnails p1180003.jpg  
Old 05-13-2020, 07:05 PM

I order one on line several years ago, it is one you can roll and take to class or attach to the wall. I have mini quilts and large framed picture, I do have a regular bedroom closet with folding doors (4 pieces). Hubby minted a curtain rod on the frame and I have cafe curtain rings attached to the piece of flannelish design wall piece. When not in use or when I need in closet it pushes aside. Very useful no problem. 👍
Old 05-14-2020, 01:15 AM

I built one out of PVC pipe. It is free standing, can be taken down and stored in a drawstring bag, lightweight, and easily put up anywhere when needed. I got the idea from after seeing "PVC photo backdrops" on line . I covered with a vinyl tablecloth and a piece of flannel. When I can, I am going to purchase a "real" hang on the wall quilt design wall and use it on the PVC frame. My frame is 5 feet wide and about 5 feet tall.
I made a casing in one side of the tablecloth and put the top piece of PVC through it. I had some clamps that I bought to use to attach a quilt sandwich to a table (one idea that didn't work out) and use them to hold the tablecloth flannel to the bottom and sides.
It is up now and I will try to get a picture and post later today if anyone is interested.
Here is a link to what I am talking about but I added a cross piece in the center to add stability, I used the idea of the 2nd one over for mine.
https://www.pinterest.com/pgoforth/pvc-backdrop-stand/
Old 05-14-2020, 03:21 AM

I got a large (40x60 I think) blank canvas from Michaels one time when they were on sale, covered it with heavy felt. I have enough wall space that I was able to have it mounted on the wall. Plain blocks stick fine, but if I have paperpieced blocks, they have to be pinned in place.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

I covered two insulation boards with cheap poly batting and stapled it to the wall. The staples leave barely noticeable holes. I give it a light coating of basting spray every now and then. Nothing falls off it and no pins needed. Loose threads come off with a lint roller even with the spray on it.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:19 AM

What kind of closet doors do you have? My design wall is the metal bifold closet doors. I hold the pieces on with magnets.
Old 05-14-2020, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
What kind of closet doors do you have? My design wall is the metal bifold closet doors. I hold the pieces on with magnets.
Now that is a genius idea. Alas, my doors are not metal.
Old 05-14-2020, 05:19 AM

IceBlossom: You mentioned a hallway - it made me wonder if you could do this:
I have a quilting room upstairs in a Bonus Room....I discovered that when you walk toward the bathroom, the two walls before you walk into the bathroom narrow down and are perfect for an adjustable shower curtain rod. So, I hung a Fons and Porter Design wall on the rod with shower curtain rings. I pull it full width when I need to put my blocks on it. If I'm not using it, I push it back to one side side out of the way. This works very well for me - it's about the only option I have for a design wall because none of the walls in the bonus room are full height because of the design of the roof --- they all slant up after about 60 - 65 inches..... I hope all this makes sense....
Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 AM

Hallway also has dreadful lighting but I'm liking the idea of a flannel sheet or something thrown over the shower curtain rod in the bathroom.... that has potential, I can either peer in from the hallway or stand at the toilet and look in the mirror at the reverse image.

Truth is, I try to design my projects so I don't have to do a lot of layout. I have a couple coming up though that will make that more difficult. I've been thinking I'll get two pieces of the white foam core, probably at the office store for a larger sturdier size than the dollar store, With the boards folded together, I'll duct tape it down. Then when it is open, use a permanent glue (not spray baste so will need to make sure I never confuse the two!) and cover both sides (leaving that wide opening) and then put down flannel, smoothing out from the center. Then just fix the edges with more duct tape, probably using a silly print one. That will give me a good bed width that can fold up and go behind the door. Still not ideal, but will be adequate for my needs.