Ideas for a design wall

Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 AM

Default Insulation Board Design Wall

Insulation Board Design Wall
Attached Thumbnails img_3017.jpg  
Old 05-14-2020, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
.........I've been thinking I'll get two pieces of the white foam core, probably at the office store for a larger sturdier size than the dollar store.............
Might I suggest that you use corroplast rather than foam core.
Foam core is much more fragile than corroplast.
BTW using fleece, I found had more "stick" for your blocks, than flannelette.

Rather than going to an office supply store, you should be able to get a much better price via a sign shop. Full sheets are 4'x8' (and sometimes larger) or better still, ask to buy their offcuts, which sometimes are quite large and an even better price!

If you have access to a heavy stapler, it will staple easily through the fabric and corroplast. And too boot, at a much lower cost, than miles of duct tape!

Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2020, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea what corroplast is but Lowe's and Home Depot have the lightweight insulation boards from thin to thick the biggest size is 4 x 8. Cheap too. Some are pink some have silver backing.
Old 05-14-2020, 11:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I have no idea what corroplast is ...............
Corroplast is corrugated plastic .... think of cardboard boxes, but plastic.
Like cardboard, it's only about 1/4" thick.
Sign shops often use it for inexpensive, waterproof signage.

Old 05-14-2020, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

I got one quite cheap at Missouri Star. It was their daily deal.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by IceLeopard View Post
What kind of closet doors do you have? My design wall is the metal bifold closet doors. I hold the pieces on with magnets.
they are wooden bi-fold,but the brackets for the cafe curtain rods stick out far enough to clean and the design wall can be moved easily to either side
Old 05-15-2020, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Corroplast is corrugated plastic .... think of cardboard boxes, but plastic.
Like cardboard, it's only about 1/4" thick.
Sign shops often use it for inexpensive, waterproof signage.

Okay now I know. I got a pack of thumbtacks on a card of this. I had no idea what it was called. It's a good thickness and very sturdy.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Insulation Board Design Wall
Is this a new picture? Your top left hand block has issues (or maybe you intended it to look like this).
Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the suggestions QuiltE, I worked with engineers and public meeting projects and sign shops and stuff for years and had access to leftovers but now I'm a decade or two out of date. Print shops are another cool place to get things like large sheets of paper suitable for tracing. Way back when before we had quilt tools, I bought a large plastic triangle at a drafting shop to help square my finished quilt edges. Still have it, fluorescent orange and no markings but no less a right angle.

My husband works for a box making plant and I also have access to really nice cardboard that is heavy stock and large enough -- again, it is scrap for them (and that's one of the things hubby does, is the inventory and scrap management). But I just like that bright white sometimes, and can envision it with fancy duct tape edges whether it needs it or not! Fleece is a good idea, I know that if what you want is something that sticks, you really have to take it on a piece by piece (or at least line by line) basis. Mostly I just want something that is wide enough but that I can fold over and put behind a door easily.

If I can get motivated and clean out the closet in my sewing room then my fabric can go in there. Currently it holds long term storage items like sleeping bags, but I haven't slept on the ground in about 10 years and if it happens again that means things got so bad then I have more to worry about than getting rid of some sleeping bags now! Right now the fabric is in boxes on rolling metal racks in front of the closet. But eventually I will have a nice double slider closet door open to me. "All" it requires is a bit more effort than I apparently possess. It is on the list though.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I had my husband mount a length of pipe at ceiling height in my sewing room. I put the curtain rings with the little teeth on the pipe so I can attach a flannel sheet. I draw it to one side when not in use. Sometimes I use the little clips to clip up a work in progress also so I can see it from a distance. Some people just pin their work to full length curtains as a design wall.
that's very similar to the way i do it.
not only does it make a nice big design wall, it covers a lot of my mess when the "curtain" is drawn across the space.