Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas/Info needed please!

From WI then Denver then Houston and now Hainesville, IL
    Just found out we are sponsoring a family from my work and that the mom likes horses! (What a WONDERFUL woman!!)

Anyway, I have some materials with horses already and need a fast pattern for a lap quilt that would use larger sized squares so I am not cutting apart all the horses...

My question is, how big of square can I do a nine-patch, you know, before it looks weird? Or can you suggest another block/idea for using the horses??

Need to get it done this weekend....yeeeks!!! :| Helllllpppp...

on quilters cache, they have a sq in a sq 2 block, the center square is 6 1/2", it goes together fast.

Blog Entries
    What if you did the 9 patch in coordinating fabrics, with a large square of the horse fabric between each of the 9 patch squares. Makes an Irish Chain I believe. (new at this - don't know all of the terminology yet). Take a look at the quilt in my avatar for an example of what I am trying to describe. Close up picture here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78371-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-81690-1.htm
    Jus saw this look how nice it looks and easy!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
    What if you did the 9 patch in coordinating fabrics, with a large square of the horse fabric between each of the 9 patch squares.
    I did something similar with floral fabric. Then I used some coordinating and contrasting fabric for the actual 9-patch.

This is my favorite pattern for showcasing a print that you don't want to cut up too much. It's fast and really easy to adjust the size.

http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/

Blog Entries
    BQ pattern uses 12 inch focus cuts and makes 18 blocks with strips on two sides. easy.

Banned
    Look at the scale of the focus print and make a judgment.
    I would do the square and put sashing around it for larger blocks and sew them all together. The sashing/edge pieces do not need to all be the same color.

what about the 10 min block ? you can take and fussy cut the center for the horse or do the horses in the other four sections with a cathedral flare to it? with maybe some accent colors in it? just my thought.

turning twenty pattern would work great; or just can't cut it.
    A quick quilt I suggest to my students is 4 patch or 9 patch with alternate squares, the alternate squares could be your horse fabric in a solid square so they are not cut up. hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
    Just found out we are sponsoring a family from my work and that the mom likes horses! (What a WONDERFUL woman!!)

Anyway, I have some materials with horses already and need a fast pattern for a lap quilt that would use larger sized squares so I am not cutting apart all the horses...

My question is, how big of square can I do a nine-patch, you know, before it looks weird? Or can you suggest another block/idea for using the horses??

Need to get it done this weekend....yeeeks!!! :| Helllllpppp...

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    How sweet you are!

I made this for a friend last spring. The new york beauty blocks are paper peiced. The pattern is free on the Connecting Threads web site. It works up pretty fast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    i have used 5" squares for a 9 patch..

What about a disappearing 9 patch? A lap size would go together really quick, I did it with 6" squares to start, your focus print doesn't get cut at all if you put it in the corners, but it breaks up the accent fabrics a bit. My final D9P block was 16.5" before putting the top together, 16" finished.

This is the one I just finished...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78802-1.htm

And here's a tutorial on how to keep a directional print ""standing" if your horses all go in one direction...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78255-1.htm

I was going to suggest Warm Wishes pattern, but I think this one is even better for quick, easy and show casing the fabric. I'm pretty slow and often have to laugh at Eleanor Burns' patterns for quilt in a day (Who else besides Eleanor can make one of her quilts in a day???). But even I could whip up one of these quilts in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedstitcher
    This is my favorite pattern for showcasing a print that you don't want to cut up too much. It's fast and really easy to adjust the size.

http://www.maryquilts.com/quick-strippie/

I liked your picture. Great job and great idea. Have to remember this for the future.

Love what momymom did with the horse fabric. You can also simply use the yardage you have and border it out to whatever dimensions you want and then quilt it so that you don't destroy the pattern of the print.

Momymom, I LOVE that quilt!

You could just showcase the panels or pieces as above,without those paper pieced blocks and use sashing with corner blocks like DpP or D4P--really quick!

Using a panel square or rectangle of your horse fabric and then surrounding it with fabrics log cabin style may be quick and easy.

In a comfort quilt book I read, and I have made these, you take 2-12 inch squares. fold one diagonally and stitch the two raw open edges to the flat square. Make as many as you want the quilt to size to, then sew all the squares together. Walla, you have deep pockets in each square for a kleenex etc. They are quick and very nice. Good luck.

DJ
    Warm wishes would be my vote. I love the way the focus fabric looks framed. It can be strip pieced. Quick and oh, so beautiful. You've probably already made your decision. Have fun!

Kaye Woods has a book called 6 hour quilts. Google it and just by looking at the picture you could get the idea for at least one. It doesn't cut the fabric up into little pieces so would showcase the fabric nicely.

Snowball pattern? I think that is what it is called.

A four patch, then a full 6" block, then a four patch, 6", etc...Alternate each row. Did that make any sense? Kid size (probably close to lap size) is five blocks across, six down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast