Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents >

Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents

Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents

Old 03-07-2013, 07:51 AM

Personalized or monogrammed pillowcases.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 AM

The nursing home where my mother lives calls the bibs "clothing protectors" because adults don't wear bibs. The ones with snaps work better than velcro. Velcro catches, pulls threads and gets so fuzzied up that it becomes unusable.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:32 AM

That and this is so sad and true, My mother is experiencing this as we speak, Things just magically disappear.
It Just makes me crazy, I get tired of having to be a "bad cop" in order to keep tabs on moms belongings.
Thanks for letting me share/vent...
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 AM

When my mother was in a nursing home, she was often confused about which room was hers. Those long halls with doors can all look the same. Small hanging quilts for the doors can help identify their own room. Many of the residents had door decorations with fabric with patterns showing their interests...dogs, cats, sewing or even a fabric photo of themselves, even small patriotic items for vets. For those who are not forgetful, door hangings for each holiday made the halls very colorful and fun.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:04 AM

Polar fleece socks are great! Green Pepper press makes the best pattern and you can just make a large size for all. I also don't put any binding on the top. Warm and comfy.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 AM

A baby size quilt with a slit on the short side so it slips over the head and around the shoulders would be good too
Old 03-07-2013, 01:50 PM

A lady that I visit complains that her arthritic hands stay so cold and hurt. I asked her if she'd like for me to make her some fleece mittens and she liked the idea. We'll see how they work.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Contact the Director of Nurses to see if they need simple bags to cover the Catheter Bags.. wouldn't have to be Quilted but need to be sturdy and washable.. Nothing like having a bag of urine hung under the wheel chair so everyone can see it as the Patient is wheeled to Activities or to the Dining Room... He or She might let you use one for a pattern....
Old 03-07-2013, 03:56 PM

This is a wonderful of ideas! My father is in a care facility and my mom will be going in shortly. This gives me some great ideas!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:29 PM

'Shawls' - longer and narrower than a lap robe that can go over their shoulders. Be sure to include pockets! I think also seasonal decorations - for their doors or to hang on their walls. Sometimes the rooms are so bleak, and the seasonal decs help keep them a little more oriented, plus it changes and gives them something different to notice and talk about. Decorative bibs - there's a pattern with bibs that look like tuxedos or a dress with pearls, things like that (and they are large). Those cute little holders for the purse size tissues, regular tissue box covers....