Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents >

Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents

Ideas for Little Gifts for Nursing Home Residents

Old 03-08-2013, 03:51 AM

My mother likes "heating bags". She makes a square about 6 x 8 (or any size you want). Fills it with rice, and hand stitches the filling opening shut. She then throws it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and uses it as a heating pad. She takes it to bed everynight. They are the nuts with her friends.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:07 AM

In addition to all these wonderful ideas, I would like to add eyeglass cases, stuffed animals or dolls, little wallets or coin purses, and cloth books.
Carol B
Old 03-08-2013, 06:10 AM

I love all the ideas and want to put as many as possible into use! Thanks every one.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by roserips View Post
Polar fleece socks are great! Green Pepper press makes the best pattern and you can just make a large size for all. I also don't put any binding on the top. Warm and comfy.
do you have a link for these... this is a great idea...
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Those bags that hang on the walkers would be great.

http://www.sewingsupport.com/sewing-...lker-bags.html

There's also a cute pattern for them on the Quilts for Kids website under patterns!
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 AM

Default Sad but True

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
When my father in law was in a nursing home I made him a red, white and blue lap quilt, put his name right on it but it disappeared by the next time someone visited him a day later. That used to happen to my grandmother all the time. Nobody ever knew who took stuff, but anything we brought her vanished in no time. Sad but true. Sometimes other residents wander into a room and walk off with something, though that might be returned eventually. Sometimes there is someone on staff who just can't resist. I don't know, but it's heartbreaking when you've made something nice for a loved one.
I found the same thing happened in the Nursing Home my Mom was in. My sister and I would bring gifts and treats to her that just disappeared the next day. My sister and I took turns going every single day for 4 years and I'd say that half of the things we took to her were never found, even with her name on them. No matter which Nurse we asked, none of them could find things. A sweater, socks, robes, small quilts, rosary's, even pictures. It was a good Nursing Home, very well staffed but you have to wonder how things like this happen. They tell you to put labels on things and use permanent marking pen, which we did both. We even addressed the problem to the Administrator, who told us that he knew it was a problem in most Nursing Homes, that is why they tell you not to bring valuable things and although it was a constant problem, they were more concerned on good quality medical care. So sad and upsetting.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:45 AM

My Mom is in a nursing home and I have made walker bags for every season. She loves being able to change them and all of the lady residents envy her (she loves that part). If you didn't want to make lots of bags, you could make one and put changeable pockets or panels to fit on one side of the bag with seasonable fabrics or messages.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:33 PM

The lap quilts and shawls made from fleece are very warm, fast and easy.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 PM

My sister and I took t-shirts to the residents at our home town. I embroidered the shirts a Bible verse, and also made little handkerchiefs from a soft muslin. I embroidered a cross on some and the praying hands on others. For the ladies, I added a soft lace around the edges. For the guys, well, theirs just had the emblem. It was a bit of work to do these, but when we saw their smiles and their eyes light up, it was worth everything. We didn't try to size the T-shirts, just meds and large. Three of my grand children went with us, and btw, these grandkids and their 4 other siblings are regular visitors to the nursing home in town. They give their time singing and loving on the residents.

Another time we took the tissue covers.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM

I agree with all the suggestions. My Mom was in a nursing home with Alzheimers. I found that the folks seem to loose track of the seasons. Making a small decoration for their door, or walker etc. would help them stay in the here and now. They also like to remember. A small photo book or a picture and frame, perhaps with a place to put the name of the person(sadly it is often needed). My Mother liked to look nice and costume jewelry I think would be welcomed. Many of my Mother's clothes were taken for others in the nursing home who needed something to make them feel good. Nursing homes go through puzzles, and even Wii's. Anything that could help keep them interested and active.