Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics >

Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics

Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
Love the DWW Dee!!

Aside from that lovely piece, I'm thinking crazy quilt with a ton of embellishing n embroidery and bobbles and such.

Non quilt ideas: purses, throw pillows, place mats, and garment bags !! I personally would love to have a quilted garment bag made out of upholstry fabs!!!

I tried crazy quilting once and decided I wasn't ready for the embellishment part. I love how it looks, might get back to it again someday, but not yet. However I love the idea of quilted garment bags - never thought of that. I'm not so sure about place mats, because they should be very washable. The guild might be interested in making throw pillows too. I know purses would be gorgeous with these fabrics.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kat Sews View Post
I have used upholstery sample fabric in a few quilts. They turned out great, in fact the ones I made for my mom and mom in law are the envy of all their friends. My advice would be to choose a simple pattern and sort the samples by weight and fiber content, try to keep it the same in each article. Also plan on using something light weight for the batting and back or it could be too heavy. They make nice warm comfy quilts.
Yes, it would need to be a simple pattern - too many seams would really weigh it down. Fortunately the fabrics are all marked with the fiber content, so that makes it easy to keep it the same in each quilt. Do you happen to have any photos of the ones you've made? I'd love to see the patterns you chose.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
if you want to use the fabric for chairity quilts you might search on the web for "Ugly Quilts" These are sleeping bags given to homeless shelters. They usually want unusual fabrics. The term ugly is used because the quilts (sleeping bags) should not be the traditional pretty quilts but rather those that might be stold.
Great idea, thanks. I'll definitely do that.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
I have used it in my crazy quilting, with silk ribbon embroidery, and embroidery and bead work. I love the look I get from them.
I love the look of crazy quilts too. I'd love to own one. But I'm not sure I will ever have the skill and patience to make one. I'd love to see yours though.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
i'm sorry if this is boring people...i seem to have put it on all week....but look at the centers...it's upholstery fabric... the effect is terrific because of the large scale...
Double Wedding Ring from Cheryl Phillips' Book
I'm certainly not bored! Your quilt is beautiful. It looks like you mixed regular cottons with decorator fabric? Because of the technique, I don't think the difference in fabric weight was a problem. Thanks for the idea.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have used decorator fabrics in quilts. First make sure they are all able to be washed, some are dry clean only. I use large designs or a small scale design enlarged . The bulk of the seam allowances of home dec fabric can be very problematic in smaller work. Additonally alot of seams will add to the weight.
Since many home dec fabrics are larger scale prints, work with the larger scale pattern. A nice simple one can be a dissapearing nine patch but start with a larger square. Some of the most beautiful I have seen are just simple squares sewn together. My sister did a log cabin , but used 2.5 inch logs. It came out beautiful.
One last note do test the fibers to make sure you can iron/steam them during construction.
Home dec fabrics use paints and dyes that are rated for longer exposure to sunlight before fading than quilting cottons. The other side of that coin is.. most home dec dyes/paints are not rated very high for very much washing before fading.
I know that the fabric content is on the label, but I'm not sure whether it talks about laundering. I'll check into that. Thanks for all the tips. I am worried about whether the fabrics can be ironed - some have nylon content.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 AM
cjr

I have some that i use also. I washed all of mine before I began to work on them. the ones that ragged a lot I eliminated. have seen table runners of different textures made.Very pretty. I've done a couple of purses that get attention and are very pretty.
I've started a box of denium and upholstery blocks, odd sizes for a future quilt.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 AM

OOOOOOh! I saw a great looking Victorian crazy quilt (antique) at the Vermont Quilt Festival. It had all kinds of different fabrics in it - velvets, satins, brocades... but I might not want to sew the heavy upholstery fabric (brocades, matelasse (sp!), tapestry) as it would probably kill my little Janome.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:39 AM

I have used the sample fabrics and the only thing you have to do is wash in a sink and then let dry. The ones that run or shrink I toss. I made a wedding quilt using the samples.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Power Poster

Can you post a picture of it? I'd love to see how you put the samples together.

Originally Posted by Pat M. View Post
I have used the sample fabrics and the only thing you have to do is wash in a sink and then let dry. The ones that run or shrink I toss. I made a wedding quilt using the samples.