Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics >

Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics

Ideas for making quilts using heavier, non-cotton fabrics

Old 01-05-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Yes, it would need to be a simple pattern - too many seams would really weigh it down. Fortunately the fabrics are all marked with the fiber content, so that makes it easy to keep it the same in each quilt. Do you happen to have any photos of the ones you've made? I'd love to see the patterns you chose.
I'm sorry, but I don't have pictures of any right now. My pieces were smaller than what you described and were from sample books. One that turned out nice was simple squares in variety of colors arranged from lights to darks and back diagonally across the quilt. In each square I free motioned a heart with stippling in the center. The nurses at the home where mom in law lives have to keep an eye on it as it is the envy of many other patients. I have had several orders from other families to make one for them. I need to remember to take more pictures before my quilts go to their new homes.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
RDM

"Sew Be It" has several patterns that would work using upholstery or decorator fabrics. Their pattern "The Main Feature" has example done in Asian fabrics that I saw made up at a LQS using dec and silk fabrics in large sections. I've used large print dec fabrics in collage quilts as Rosemary Eichorn (www.sewjourn.com) taught. Her website would be good to check out if you want to go in that direction. Have fun searching as I'm sure you'll come up with an idea that speaks to you. The fabrics will talk.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

You could make some really attractive decorator wall hangings with the sample pieces. Think simple squares, rectangles of different sizes. Modern quilt looking.
Old 01-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

All of you are giving me such good ideas, and I'm finally getting excited about using some of this fabric. Thank you!