Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas Needed >

Ideas Needed

Ideas Needed

Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Cool Ideas Needed

I would love to make a quilt representing the fact that my husband and I have been in all 50 states. I am thinking of something like Sunbonnet Sue in all 50 states. I have thought of Sunbonnet Sue and Overall Sam, but would like to make them more like us. Also would like to have each block indicate the name of the state as well as show a significant landmark or activity we participated in at each location. Does anyone have any advice or ideas for me? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!
Old 06-03-2013, 05:30 PM

Maybe use something showing the different states such as blue bonnets for Texas etc.
D
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM

I once made a table cloth for my Mother doing cross stitch for each state that each of her kids lived in. She loved it. You could do a block representing each state using the state flower of each state. (That fabric is available) You might use the pens to make a personal note about something special to you about each state. Good luck and enjoy. Sounds like a wondrful idea.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:43 PM

Instead of tackling the whole quilt, break into parts. Say, what do you have to depict you time in MN? What about Wisconsin? There are blocks representing each state, then possibly add a photo from that state? What can you say about each state? Did you also go to DC, any or other districs? Do you have photos from each state? Did you collect something from each state? What was your most memorable experience in each state?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Power Poster

Carol Doak has a book for PaperPiecing 50 star blocks, each named for a state.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:19 PM

A couple of years ago, I made a vacation quilt for my best friend. The quilt had blocks that represented the various states we have visited in the past 20 years. Example: one block was full of hot air balloons for Albuquerque, another block had marine life for San Diego, the Statue of Liberty for NY....you get the idea! It was challenging and fun trying to find all the fabrics that represented our vacations.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/usa...massachusetts/ I stumbled across this site last week while looking up trivia questions. It's a resource for teachers. At the bottom of the page are links to all the states, and each state lists things like state bird/tree/flower, etc, plus it has outline maps of each state that you can print out. Maybe you can find some good ideas there.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:53 AM
Power Poster

I would print out a picture of something you did or visited in each state and make a block. You could put the state motto ,bird ,flower or whatever in each block. There is a site somewhere-forgot where- that has a block for every state. have fun researching and sewing.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 AM

Do you do applique? Here is a great looking book of patterns. I especially like that each state abbreviation is on the block too. http://softexpressions.com/software/books/4FF0685.php
Or what about machine embroidery? There are probably design collections for the states.