Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ideas needed >

ideas needed

ideas needed

Old 02-13-2010, 09:04 AM

So sorry about your brother. I know its hard. Maybe this will help you out with bringing yourself to make the quilt.
When my mother passed away I inherited her wedding rings. My father said she wamted him to make sure I got them. I certainly couldn't wear them so I put them in a drawer and would take them out every once in a while, hold them, think of her and even cry sometimes. Ten years later when dad passed away I recieved his wedding band. I started to put it away and it hit me thats not what they would have wanted me to do, so I had them made into a lovely piece of jewelry which I can wear and whenever I go anywhere fun or travel I wear it and feel like Im taking a part of them with me.
I have never regretted doing this and I dont think you will ever regret making this quilt once it is done. You will have fond memories every time you look at the quilt. Maybe you could make blocks and use a square of the clothing as the center of each block. I certainly hope this helps
Old 02-13-2010, 04:08 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope the planning and work on this project helps you remember the good times and find a way to share that with others in the family.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:16 PM

HI - I have seen where they take a shirt and make a teddy bear from it and put the tage from the shirt on the foot of the bear.......... my cousin has one that was made from a shirt of her dad's... Just an idea.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by watterstide
i am sorry your lost your beloved brother, i know it hurts and he is heavy on your heart..my dad has been done 5 years and i still miss him like crazy. if fact,last night i put on his winter coat and hat and gloves.scarf and shoveled the snow. it is my way of keeping him close. i wasn't really into quilting back then, just starting out, if i had known about memory quilts,i would of saved some of his clothes.
for ideas, for to
www.webshots.com
and do a search for "memory quilts" ..i will bet there is alot of them. it is where i go looking for ideas.
i did make a memory panel of my grandmother, who raised me. i will look for a picture to post.
and by the way,if i had a quilt made of my dads clothes, no way would it be on display, it would be on couch and i would be wrapped up in it..
I'm dring my eyes. Thank you soooooo much my husband is very sick with liver, heart, lung, and diabetic. He is 41 and has many more ilnesses. People always tell him this. But you dont look sick.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:08 PM

After my two sons died, their wives came me some of their shirts. I made quilts from them for each of their children. Creativity will probably come to you after you start. But, I would cut areas those showed the name on the front of the shirt, like Hilfiger, Duckhead, or the symbols ....to show what kinds of shirts their daddy liked. On some I would button the front of the shirt and use the buttoned down front of the shirt. (Of course, I would sew the buttons into the buttonhole..AFTER it was quilted. But, ideas will come....And, yes, I cried while cutting the shirts....but I thought that the quilt would be better than a sack full of shirts sitting in the closet never being seen. And, I know one grandchild dearly treasures her "daddy's quilt"....don't know about the other two.....never heard a peep from them. Broke my heart, but that's their problem. I did it for them....maybe someday, they will realize what a treasure they have.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Denise Reimer
quilt I made fr my Moms clothes, but it's still unfinished so excuse the pins It's called " Show and Tell " and the quilters are going to be holding smaller quilts that they made
Sorry for your loss. LOVE YOUR QUILT. Please post pattern for us. Thank you.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:41 AM

There are several kindle covers (along with measurements) on the website "etsy.com". Might be worth it to check out. I love that site...get many ideas from it and also can enjoy seeing what other people are creating. Good luck.