Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas please!! >

Ideas please!!

Ideas please!!

Old 05-05-2012, 05:00 AM

The quilt is beautiful!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:23 AM

Another thought, you can use your walking foot to do a simple outline of an owl in each block, after you SID around the outside of each block. But you will need to stop every 2-3 stitches to re-align your stitching to the curves. It sounds tedious but I have certainly done it in the past and it works well - your feed dogs are up - try it on a sample first. Here is a colouring page you could simplify one of these outlines. http://www.coloring.ws/owl.htm
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 AM

KIMMERS14---I'm with you. I love making the quilt top. but when it comes to quilting it, I freeze. I've done some FMQ, but I'm not real happy with it. Done it on simple things, and it's turned out okay, but I'm terrified to try it on a quilt that will be given as a gift. I feel your pain! I guess it's what everyone says---practice, practice, practice. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:35 AM

If you want to quilt owls on the quilt, why not just turn your fabric sandwich over and outline your owls on the backing? Personally, I think the owls would get lost in the blocks of the top. This pattern would really look good done SID or X or some other straight line quilting. When the top is colorful like yours, you really don't see the quilting. I would use a light pink thread top and bobbin and I really think that would look great on both sides.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 AM

I think SID would look fine on both sides of your quilt...as would the X across. A light pink would look good as top and bottom thread. The stitching on the back will hardly show up anyway.

Beautiful quilt!

Dina
Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM

What kind of machine do you have that you can't find a FM foot? Most machines are short shank, long shank or slant shank. Berninas are an exception, I think. All three shank types are available.

FMQ - Just do it, though I would practice on a sandwich first and the draw the pattern I wanted on a surface with the index finger of my dominant hand, then have at it.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:21 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I wish I had your guts. I have pieced many, many quilts, but never quilted a one (except hand quilted 3/4 of a wall hanging 20 years ago) and always end up sending mine out to a LA quilter to do her magic. I wish I believed in myself enough to even practice quilting. I won't even try that because it seems too daunting thinking about quilting an actual quilt. So, hooray for you!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:47 AM
QM
Power Poster

That owl fabric would make a fab border for that quilt!

Walking feet are pretty specific and hard to get for many older machines. A darning foot, however, is generally easier. THAT is what you want to free motion.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 AM

Could you get up enough gumption to just do straight line quilting in a grid pattern - even diamond grid? I know exactly how you feel about not wanting to ruin the top. I made top after top and was too afraid to quilt them until a good friend pleaded with me to help her quilt the charity quilts that she had. It was very good practice and of course, i keep getting better with each one that I do. I am not afraid now, and welcome new ideas to improve what I do. Start practising on some practice sandwiches and you should get brave enough to try the nice one.
My friend deliberately made me get out of my comfort zone, and I still do 10mins practice on a sandwich before starting a new quilt, as it loosens me up. All the best with it.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 AM

Before working on a big quilt, try FMQ on potholders. For this nice little quilt, why not try a 4" grid using your walking foot and some masking or painters tape? That will work fine and look quite nice. It will help you practice maneuvering your quilt around.