Old 01-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Originally Posted by IBQLTN
Originally Posted by lclang
Originally Posted by elise
HAVE YOU MADE THE WONDER WALLET YET, SOLD LOTS OF THEM, PATTERN LAZY GIRL
Lazy Girl patterns are copyrighted and they do not allow you to sell constructed items. I saw so many folks on her blog talking about selling them that I e-mailed and asked. Joan personally responded and said it is a violation of the copyright and we are NOT supposed to sell them. She thanked me for honoring her copyright.

Peggy
According to a legal opinion I read, the PATTERN may not be copied or sold in any way, but the projects you make from them is your property and you may sell them regardless of what the pattern maker says.
Wow, I'd really like to read this. I have had so many plans go down the tubes because of copyright issues. May I have the website, please!?

Peggy
OK folks ... I Called the copyright office. He hemmed and hawed a little but and then basically said (I used a handbag as an example) that the pattern is copywritten but the finished product was mine to do with as I want. Selling completed project is not covered by the copyright.

However, when we switched the example to a quilt pattern he said that fell more into the "art" category and that I would have to get an attorney to interpret the law for me because there are many 'interpretations'.

I'll be off the soap box now and I am delighted to know I don't have to re-invent the wheel and can actually use some of the purse patterns I've purchased without having to design my own.

Blessings,
Peggy
-----
I have consulted copyright attorneys who consistently cite FIRST SALE DOCTRINE. Additionally, case law in the last decade shows consistent federal rulings in favor of the crafter/quilter to make and sell items made from a book with NO FURTHER REVENUES due the author of the book or designer. The book contains patterns on how to make something - which is why it was published - so the book and pattern are being used as intended BY THE AUTHOR.

After the book is FIRST sold (to the original buyer) the owner of the book can do what she wishes with the book itself and the patterns therein, including selling it at a garage sale for whatever price chosen and with full entitlement to all proceeds from that garage sale. The author got her cut AT FIRST SALE and is entitled to no more revenue or control over what is done with the book or the contents therein ... EXCEPT for duplicating the book, DVD, etc. ITSELF.

Once sold, the author or designer cannot put restrictions on what you make or sell with the book or pattern. BTW, patterns (sold individually for either quilts or crafts) are covered by PATENT LAW not copyright law; if you check the Copyright Office's records, the only thing copyrighted on clothing, accessory, craft patterns is the artwork on the envelopes.

Even in instances where the federal courts see quilts closer to "art" (copyright law) than "utility" (patent law), the fact that the designer has published a book with instructions telling you how to make the items therein BY FEDERAL COURT INTERPRETATION means that you are using the book as intended by the author/designer ... and FIRST SALE DOCTRINE kicks in.

----
NOTE ON DUPLICATING PUBLISHED MATERIAL: See Paul C. Rapp, Esq.'s blog article on FAIR USE DOCTRINE. (he speaks "English" while explaining the law clearly.

GREAT NEWS - Since so many quilting and crafting teachers have been copying magazine articles and distributing them to class students to teach classes (in direct violationm of copyright law), McCall's Quilting Magazine has decided not to fight that fight the way it used to and, as of McCALL’S QUILTING MAGAZINE – JAN/FEB 2011 ISSUE, P. 10, every issue will contain the following: “COPYRIGHT FOR QUILTERS: READER HAS THE RIGHT TTO MAKE AND PUBLICLY DISPLAY A COPY OF EACH PROJECT IN THIS MAGAZINE, AS LONG AS PUBLICLY-ACCESSIBLE CREDIT IS GIVEN TO THE DESIGNER(S) AND McCALL’S QUILTING.” They followed on with the following statement: "Beginning here [Jan/Feb 2011 issue] you’ll find this statement in every McCall’s Quilting publication. We believe this is a first in the quilting world, and hope it will allow readers to continue to enjoy and use our patterns with confidence and convenience. It is our goal to protect the rights of both quilt designers and quilt pattern users everywhere. If you ever have a question about copyright related to one of our patterns, you can also correspond with us at [email protected]. We’re happy to answer most inquiries within one business day."
"AS LONG AS PUBLICLY-ACCESSIBLE CREDIT IS GIVEN TO THE DESIGNER(S) " This statement has started appearing as a footnote to all patterns for sale on YouCanMakeThis.com and in several etsy shops!

I so glad to know you were so well informed and able to give us the info in 'plain english!'
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM

Place mats and matching dinner napkins?? Do you have a lot of scraps you can stuff in a zip-lock bag and sell for $5.00?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 PM

We sold lots of table runners, wall hangings and lap quilts at our bazaar in early December