Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece >

Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece

Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece

Old 04-20-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
I always start quilting newbies with a small patchwork pillow. The reason is if the first project while they learn has a quick pattern, easy instructions, and a nice result, they are more likely to keep going. That is what my 4H leader did, then let us pick the second project with some suggestions of learning curve, what issues might crop up, and of course she was there to answer questions as we worked. Adults might be able to start larger, but if they get frustrated, you will see the unfinished, frustrating project at a second hand store usually in a plastic bag....just my thoughts.

Another idea- Eleanor Burns wrote her "Double Irish Chain" quilt book back in a time that not many knew how to sew or quilt, so it is broken down in easy to follow, step by step instructions and illustrations, with several variations. I love the fact that even the reprints remain faithful to the original. This book is responsible for thousands of quilters being "discovered" on their own. You can even get everyone a copy of the book on www.alibris.com for not much. I think I paid about $8.00 for the last copy I gifted with fabric.
I just wanted to add that I still use the organizational skills I learned from this book. BTW- I still can't throw the scraps over my shoulder since I would then have to pick them up since I have no staff to do it for me. Lol!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:53 PM

the little quilt book by three women in marieta Georgia was my first book they arelikedoll quilts very goodinstructions.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:03 PM

I like to start off with a string block or two. You can get warmed up or start using a sewing machine. Seam allowance can be adjusted w/o too much stress. If you have a class, you can make a small baby quilt together. If one or two, it could be a pillow or pot holder.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:18 PM

first, how to thread the needle, set the bobbin and tension, and generally acquaint them with the sewing machine.

Second, choose a simple pattern that they can use to learn to sew straight seams.

I like a 4 patch (checker board) for a first quilt. It acquaints them with cutting, sewing straight seams and matching intersecting seams up. A jelly roll strip quilt is good candidate too, because it is all straight stitching. However, the Jelly roll doesn't hold a beginners' interest very well, I guess because it's a boring process, and you really don't see any results until you're about half way through making the top. The 4 patch gives a learner a lot of quick feedback and they can see the results of their work and make changes in their sewing habits as they go. It's also easier to seam rip a 4 patch.

Good luck and have fun.

Teach them to clean the machine frequently. My first adult sewing machine was so jammed with dust that it literally stopped sewing. I thought I was going to have to recycle it. Then it dawned on me that perhaps the machine needed cleaning. It sure did. The dust was packed into the feed dogs so tightly that it was like strips of felt!

My Mom taught me the little I knew about sewing when I started quilting, but I don't ever recall that she showed me how or why I needed to clean the machine! She probably did show me, but as a kid I probably tuned out.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
how about just teaching them as they watch you. a picture is worth a thousand words type of thing.
Couldn't agree more! Just start with a simple 4 patch, and they'll pick it up easily, even with the language barrier.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
Couldn't agree more! Just start with a simple 4 patch, and they'll pick it up easily, even with the language barrier.
When I teach I always DO what I'm trying to tell them. Much more effective when they SEE it done.