Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece >

Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece

Ideas for Teaching How to Sew/Piece

Old 04-18-2016, 11:35 AM

I agree with COWGIRLQUILTER about the sewing machine and basic skills. Once another gal and myself volunteered to "help" some others learn to make a small wallhanging. They all said they had machines and could sew. My oh my what a bunch of old machines that hadn't been maintained. The first couple hours was spent getting everyone's machines re-needled, threaded, tensions adjusted, oiled, then getting into stitching. They were "driving" all over and needed to practice going straight. Then we moved onto rotary cutting, etc. Hand piecing and cutting out templates can be useful too. That's how I first started. How wonderful of you to share with others the love of sewing and quilting.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:33 PM

Do they have sewing machines? If not, are they planning on making what, for many people, is a major purchase (even at the low end)? Too often I find people who ask me to help them learn to make a quilt assume that I make them entirely by hand -- or at least that I am capable of doing such a thing. I was blessed to grow up in a home that had a sewing machine; not everyone had an extra $100 to spend on a machine -- not to mention all the fabric, basic supplies, notions, etc.

If they have or are planning to purchase a machine, I'd agree with those who suggested starting with how to properly set-up and thread their machines. Once they've learned that, I'd move onto precision cutting (& rotary blade safety). No amount of effort spent on a "perfect 1/4" seam" will amount to anything if the pieces aren't cut exactly to begin with. Once they've mastered that, working on patchwork seams would be the next logical step. Many quiltmakers are only interested in the piecing & that may be the case with your students. But if they also want to quilt their top, I'd go with a full SID quilting pattern to start with.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 PM

I've taught beginners through guild classes and at the high school level. assuming they have machines, start with fabric selection, rotary cutting and the 1/4" seam. I use the rail fence as the block to "practice" rotary cutting, 1/4" seam, making strip sets and cutting accurately so it pieces right. We then do a star block that uses HST and flying geese--both some pretty common units in quilt blocks. We also do a drunkards path (curved seams), an applique block, hand quilting, sashing & borders. Now this takes a longggg time--21 hrs. Which works fine if you and these ladies plan to make this an on-going project. If not, I'd back up to the rotary cutter, rail fence and the star block with the HST & FG. OR focus on the rotary cutting and 1/4" block using a MSQC simple quilt. If they are all still wanting to move forward, then think about more involved techniques. Good for you for being willing to do this!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:24 PM

My friend teaches beginners, starting with a small cushion done in squares with a hidden zip at back . The zip easy done in easy conceal method on video or you could do one with a lap over section.
The front is made from squares the people cut using rotary skills. She has equipment to borrow for this first lesson.then joining with 1/4" seam and butting seams together. It's a small project which gets quick satisfaction. She used to do 3 stripes cut into blocks and joined table runners.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 AM

Amazing!! I will follow this thread because I am planning something similar...I would like to "teach" to some interested person...but I am newbie myself...so I was thinking to start from quilted table placemats....I was thinking a simple 4 patches as a center and some strips on the sides...so it is not too complicated. What do you think?
Old 04-19-2016, 04:11 AM

I have recently worked with a very dear friend who wanted to learn how to quilt. She is a very experienced seamstress and makes many of her own clothes and household accessories. Since knew her way around a sewing machine, I found my copy of "Turning Twenty" and started with twelve fat quarters. She had to learn how to use a rotary cutter and mat and how to measure with a ruler to get accurate cuts. The sewing process was easy enough since only the block seams needed to match. She completed that baby-sized quilt in no time and moved on to making half-square triangles. By the time the week was up, she had made two quilt tops and was excited to get home so she could begin hand quilting them.

With all that said, I recommend an easy pattern such as "Turning Twenty" so that your ladies can complete a top very quickly. Nothing can take the place of "instant gratification."
Old 04-19-2016, 08:54 AM

I have taught foreign exchange students to quilt using a tube quilt. You need at least 5 fabrics and cut into 5 inch strips. Connect the 5 inch strips into one piece width together. Then sew the first and last strip together. Then cut the tube into 5 inch strips. Undo the first and last seam to open the strip and do each strip opening the next seam down. You then sew these strips together to give you a quilt top. It also makes a different design, but is easy and quick. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:17 AM

Purchase Harriet Hargrave's book: Quilter's Academy, Vo 1 - Freshman year - A skill building course in quiltmaking.

this book has everything you need to know and presents it in a logical way. All students will learn much from this course and will have good success with their projects!!
Old 04-19-2016, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by quilting cat View Post
I have taught a couple of teenagers basic sewing skills piecing charm squares into blocks for charity quilts.
A simple pieced tote bag might also be a good starter project.
I always start quilting newbies with a small patchwork pillow. The reason is if the first project while they learn has a quick pattern, easy instructions, and a nice result, they are more likely to keep going. That is what my 4H leader did, then let us pick the second project with some suggestions of learning curve, what issues might crop up, and of course she was there to answer questions as we worked. Adults might be able to start larger, but if they get frustrated, you will see the unfinished, frustrating project at a second hand store usually in a plastic bag....just my thoughts.

Another idea- Eleanor Burns wrote her "Double Irish Chain" quilt book back in a time that not many knew how to sew or quilt, so it is broken down in easy to follow, step by step instructions and illustrations, with several variations. I love the fact that even the reprints remain faithful to the original. This book is responsible for thousands of quilters being "discovered" on their own. You can even get everyone a copy of the book on www.alibris.com for not much. I think I paid about $8.00 for the last copy I gifted with fabric.

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-19-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 AM

If they want to make a quilt, perhaps start with a split rail. It goes quickly and explains some 'shortcuts' but also some fabric rules (straight cutting, bows, stitching two directions,etc). And it goes together quickly. If they want to learn quilting, I like to do various blocks. One class I taught was Block of the Week. I suggested they pick a color palette so that when they finished they could assembly them into a quilt top. But, they could also use them for the front of tote bags or wall hangings.