Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Identifying needle size/type once out of packaging >

Identifying needle size/type once out of packaging

Identifying needle size/type once out of packaging

Old 10-28-2010, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the download. Good info.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 AM

Awesome download, Was just sitting here trying to find out what needle I have here and decided to look on the board for some info. I am so very glad I did. Thank you
Old 11-10-2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the attachment. Very interesting and something to keep.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by amma View Post
Some people mark their tomato pincushions, drawing a grid on them for the different sizes, as well as for the different types too.
You could even make a rectangular pincushion, and mark it for all of your different needles
I've done that for years with an old tomato pincushion I had. It works great!
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

If I find a needle out of the package and I have no idea what it is, the least frustrating way for me to deal with it is to toss it. I try to keep needles in the right packages but that doesn't happen a lot of the time.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by newestnana View Post
Once I've taken a needle out of its original package I have a LOT of trouble reading/interpreting its size. With "cheaters" (glasses) AND a magnifying glass I might (just might) be able to read the numbers.

However, I don't know how you'd be able to tell the difference between, say, a regular size 14 needle and a size 14 topstitch. Is there some way to know? Metallic? Embroidery?

And what do "red tip", "blue tip" etc. mean?

Sometimes I use several different needles in a day, and am not careful about putting them back in their packaging...any hints to help with this?

Thanks in advance.
I keep my needle packages in a craft box that has multiple compartments. I use a pretty button and put it in the compartment of the needle I have in the machine. If I change the needle even for just an hour I move that button. I always know exactly which needle is in the machine.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by amma View Post
Some people mark their tomato pincushions, drawing a grid on them for the different sizes, as well as for the different types too.
You could even make a rectangular pincushion, and mark it for all of your different needles

Which is great for telling what size is in the pincushion. I never could figure out how that was supposed to tell me what was in the machine. I tossed that pincushion and the needles too.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Which is great for telling what size is in the pincushion. I never could figure out how that was supposed to tell me what was in the machine. I tossed that pincushion and the needles too.
Too funny that is what I would have done too!
Old 11-10-2013, 11:43 AM

My sister uses many different kinds of needles. She is way more organized than I am and uses many different types of needles. She made a needle book for sewing machine needles (Bernina has the pattern). Here's the best photo of a similar one that I could find.

In any case, she added a little plastic sleeve to her machine (glued on). When she takes the needle out of the package and puts it into her machine, she put a piece of paper into the sleeve that indicates size and type of needle currently in the machine before she does anything else.

Plastic sleeve example

This is what I use. I put used needles through a piece of wool and it sits on the top of the compartment.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:01 PM

OK, I had the same problem.....changing needles all the time. So, I took a piece of white felt (you could probably use batting too) and labeled it by brand of needle and size of needle with a permanent marker. When I use a needle, and finish with it, I just stick it in the proper place on the felt. I also have a "sticky" piece of paper attached to my machine where I write the type of needle in the machine at the current time. That way, when I want to change it out, I know where to put it on my felt "caddie". Works for me!!