Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If the batting instructions say >

If the batting instructions say

If the batting instructions say

Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 PM

'quilt every 2-4 inches", does that mean in both directions? Should the smallest unquilted area in any direction be less than 4 inches?

I made a jelly roll quilt. I would like to just run a line of stitching down the middle of every other row, so in one direction it would be quilted every four inches. Do I have to add some stitching in the other direction?

This seems like a really silly question, but I can't seem to wrap my brain around it.

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I always understood that it was in both directions. so 2 to 4 inches basically means a 4" square. Can you run a line of stitches perpendicular to your first set to quilt squares?
I'm curious to see what others say...
Old 09-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Banned

make a fist, now put your fist in the center of what you wanting to quilt...anything around the outside of your fist needs to be quilted! So yes, 2-4" AROUND the line you want to put down can be left unquilted!
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

what is going to be the use of the quilt. How often will it likely be washed etc etc etc. The use will depend on how much quilting needed. Down every ther seam (4") most
likely will be sufficient.

Also what batting are you going to use. That will also depend on how much quilting.

So need this additional information to give informed suggestions.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

It means in both directions. A batting with those specifications probably won't hold up over time if you simply quilt straight lines 4" apart. The batting will likely start pulling apart at the quilting lines. You might be able to get away with lines 2" apart.

For what you would like to do, a batting such as Warm n Natural (quilting lines up to 10" apart) would work, and I'm sure there are Dream battings that would work too.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:46 PM

I would agree with the others...if it says 2-4" I would do no less than a 4" square (give or take) unquilted.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM

If I am taking my quilts to a LAQ to be quilted, would I need to be concerned about this? I made a quilt with blocks about 6 inches square. I framed them with 2 1/2 inch strips of fabric. Then I ran 2 1/2 inch strips the width of the quilt to connected all of the rows togeather. The quilt was quilted like a stitch in the ditch but there were no breaks quilted ever 4 inches in the length of the strips. Should I be concerned? Or am I misunderstanding the posts? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Duplicate response deleted. Sorry.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 PM

Gee. I always quilt what I want and don't read the directions. Something to look at. I use Warm and natural too so don't have to quilts as closely if I don't want.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Gee. I always quilt what I want and don't read the directions. Something to look at. I use Warm and natural too so don't have to quilts as closely if I don't want.
I wish I had bought warm and natural. I have the poly batting from Joanns, and have had it too long to return it.