Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you buy fabric from outside your own country... >

If you buy fabric from outside your own country...

If you buy fabric from outside your own country...

Old 01-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Mmmmh, as you may know I live in Argentina, and if I use FLAT RATE ENVELOPES I NEVER pay a cent to get my fabrics. The Postman just requires my signature (or sb else's as I have my orders delivered at my job)and my fabrics ARE ON MY HAND AT THE VERY MOMENT.
But I do know by experience, that ALL packages that come with tracking and/or insurance are held at customs.
And must pay for taxes.
That's why I never ever have my orders shipped in box.
Unfortunately have had a recent problem with a well-known on-line store, who ignored my request. But that's for another thread I guess.
Hope this info is useful.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM

I live in Australia and buy the majority of my fabric from the US. We have a limit here from our customs people that if its value is over $1000 then import taxes must be paid, but under that no taxes. To post overseas is quite expensive, as we do not have prepaid package like UPS do for international mail.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM

I also haven't ever paid duties or taxes on any fabric sent in those prioity flat rate envelopes by USPS. I only ever paid on the box that came from Hancocks of Paducah. I also never get anything sent by UPS, not worth it. I only will deal with USPS.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
This is useful info.

I'm getting the feeling that packages sent via USPS have a chance of going through without taxes, even if the value is high enough that they should be getting caught. Does that sound like what's happening?
sure, never better explained. that's what I question myself all the time. I have my orders (usually large ones to take advantage of the high shipping costs) ALWAYS shipped by USPS. Never ever asked a seller to under declare the total value (although to my surprise, some of them do that without requesting for it, but that's not my problem), so many times, the total amount is a high one. But, coming in flat rate envelopes, never pay duties nor taxes (regardless how much it is). BUT coming in any TINY pack w/ tracking, gets held at custom. And pays for all.
So, i always wonder, what's the deal?? :shock:
That's why I always request to split my orders (if necessary) in as many envelopes as needed-
Old 01-20-2011, 02:03 AM

I ordered 9 yds from Bear Paw Quilting and the duty and other charges were $17.00...why I don't know. Ordered over $200.00 from Connecting Threads and there were no extra/unknown fees when delivered. I love to shop for my fabric online (not that I buy much), but, I don't like going to pick up a package and have a $15-$20.00 surprise waiting for me. I will definitely be ordering more from CT unless other board members have other shops that don't surprise you on delivery with duty charges.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I ordered 9 yds from Bear Paw Quilting and the duty and other charges were $17.00...why I don't know. Ordered over $200.00 from Connecting Threads and there were no extra/unknown fees when delivered. I love to shop for my fabric online (not that I buy much), but, I don't like going to pick up a package and have a $15-$20.00 surprise waiting for me. I will definitely be ordering more from CT unless other board members have other shops that don't surprise you on delivery with duty charges.
i ordered from CT this week, my first, can you give me an idea of how long it takes for the order to arrive by canada post. i was notified on jan 17 that the order was shipped. thanks for replying *in advance)...
Old 01-20-2011, 05:46 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Quilterella, it's not the shops that create a surprise for you. Kin d of the other way around. If for some reason, you *don't* get charged anything, that should be the surprise - and a pleasant one for you.

Here is a link to the Canada Border Services Agency, where they spell out what the rules are:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/po...roits-eng.html
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 AM

Quilterella, it's not the shops that create a surprise for you. Kin d of the other way around. If for some reason, you *don't* get charged anything, that should be the surprise - and a pleasant one for you.

Here is a link to the Canada Border Services Agency, where they spell out what the rules are:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/po...roits-eng.html[/quote]

Thankyou for the link. I never really understood why when you order fabric from various sites, that you would get charged duty for some and not the others, especially when the package clearly stated "fabric". I'm not sure I understand it now, but, you are right...expect to pay duty and let it be a good surprise when you don't have to.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by shadoh
i ordered from CT this week, my first, can you give me an idea of how long it takes for the order to arrive by canada post. i was notified on jan 17 that the order was shipped. thanks for replying *in advance)...
It took 9 business days, so almost 2 weeks. But, it was like Christmas allover again.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by tweetee
I live in Australia and buy the majority of my fabric from the US. We have a limit here from our customs people that if its value is over $1000 then import taxes must be paid, but under that no taxes. To post overseas is quite expensive, as we do not have prepaid package like UPS do for international mail.
Tweetie I did not know about the over $1000 value. I usually only buy 30 yards at a time from Thousands of Bolts, pay through Paypal so no international charges on a credit card and I have my parcel within 7 to 14 days. Fabric is just toooooo expensive over here.