Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could make any quilt, regardless of how advanced it is... >

If you could make any quilt, regardless of how advanced it is...

If you could make any quilt, regardless of how advanced it is...

Old 09-23-2013, 05:28 AM

I'm not familiar with some of the quilts that have been named so I have been looking them up as I read this thread. Just wanted to let you Judy Martin enthusiasts know that she is having a close-out on some of her books at www.judymartin.com.
As far as which quilt, I want to make them all. Just recently I started a partial applique Christmas quilt, www.jingle.com. Still not very skilled but someday would like to make one of Deborah Kemball's designs.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
I know the feeling! I'm buying the last of my fabrics Monday for my Bali Wedding Star quilt, 92x104. It will be the most time consuming project I've undertaken in the almost 2 years I've been making quilts. I initially gave myself 3-4 months to do it - then talked to someone who had done it and she spent appx 250 hours on the top. So I went back and did my math - after work and on weekends I can squeeze in 20 hours a week - 80 hours a month, yep 3-4 months seems reasonable provided i don't completely burn out. I typically don't do but one project at a time. I think i may end up extending my time frame a few months and planning some 'easier' projects during all of the BWS undertaking. I'm a little apprehensive every time I look at the fabric, the quantity of PP patterns, the cost involved with this one, but when I see the pic on the pattern, i know it's all going to be worth it.

Maybe we should use this thread to also show our progress on our Intimidation Projects
That's a great idea. You have barely quilted for two years? Wow, your avatar is gorgeous! You do really lovely work!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
I think it would be 2 quilts. The Baltimore Album but I don't do applique. The other is the Dear Jane. I'm 67 and don't want any long, drawn out projects that take years to complete. I'm trying to get all my UFO's finished so that when I do go, there will be nothing undone.
Hah I agree with you on the long-drawn-out. For me whatever it the next project is on my 'bucket list' by default. I also confess that I don't do applique either. Sometimes I think I am the only one in quiltland who doesn't. Pleased to make your acquaintance! Maybe we should think about doing a small wall-hanging with the Dear Jane instead of the whole quilt. Or put a few blocks in focus with other background.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
I would love to do Glacier Star. I took a class with Judy Neimeyer on her Bali Wedding Star and it is sitting in my WIP pile. I am signed up to take a class with her in Nov to make the Christmas Celebration Tree Skirt. I love her stuff, but I let myself get sidetracked.
In regards to Bella Boo's Post --- Maybe you could ask her if her Glacier Star pattern has had all of the mistakes corrected. I imagine it is a tough pattern and it would be frustrating if you also had to deal with errors.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Mine would be Dear Jane. The actual blocks don't intimidate me . . . but the magnitude of the project does. There are just SO MANY little pieces! There are SO MANY little points and intersections, to match up! It boggles my mind, just thinking about it.
My thoughts exactly. I am, however, seriously contemplating a Farmer's Wife as a hand piecing project.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM

My dream quilt would be a silky, shimmery whole cloth trapunto. Now I'll go back to my scraps and get to work on something doable, LOL.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:55 AM

Litle Brown Bird.
Have the fabrics, the book and everything else ...
Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM

I have the pattern Amazon Star by Judy Neimeyer. I have all of the fabric labeled and ready to go. I take the pattern out of the box, look at it a few minutes and put it back. It is all paper piecing. i don't know what is intimidating mr about starting it. DH even helped me pick all of the fabrics for it. I have downloaded the corrections from the web site. There are several pages of them. A $50.00 pattern should not need to have corrections.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM

Affairs of the Heart and Storm at Sea. Sigh!!!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:28 PM

I am way behind the trends but I would love to make a bargello quilt. I go to pick out fabric and I get so intimidated that I just go home. I will keep trying though. I would also like to make a Baltimore quilt some day. Selecting the fabric will be a lot easier for that one.