Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you could quilt your own quilt? >

If you could quilt your own quilt?

If you could quilt your own quilt?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:28 AM

I would definitely do it. Please move to Houston and start your business here!!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Power Poster

If I knew how to use the machine, I would LOVE to have a place nearby. I hear about people sending theirs through the mail and it downright frightens me. I always wonder if the thing will get lost and is never seen again.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:53 PM

I would jump at the chance to be able to rent a long arm! As long as the price was less than having it done!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I think you have a viable business idea. At a minimum the person using the machines would need 3-4 hours of instruction and time would have to be reserved for the long arm. You might do a survey of some of your quilting friends to ask their opinion. If I had this option and it was close enough for it to be a solution to my many quilts, I would consider it.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

I have a LAM. What I want is a traveling quilter to come and quilt the thirty tops I don't have time to do! How much would that cost!

This can be a profitable part of a quilting business. I don't think renting machine time alone would generate enough income to pay for itself, but as part of a a whole package of stuff, would be great.
peace
Old 08-22-2014, 02:14 PM

Talked to an owner of a quilt shop at a quilt show about starting a quilt store. She said she was in business 5 years before she coulkd realize a profit...but then it got better. I suppose growing your customer base is the hard part. She, also said shipping expenses are exorbitant. It has been said to me that just retail sales will not be enough. That a diverse plan such as classes, teaching off site, advertisement and kits, patterns, etc., are helpful in realizing gains. Of course, labor would be a major factor plus a bricks and mortar business is demanding of your time. The idea sounds great, have you canvassed your area for potential clients? Check if there are quilt guilds, quilt club, quilt shows in your area. Is there a strong representation at your county, state fair entrees. These may give you good sources of potential customers. Whatever you do, I wish you every success.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:52 PM

think it would depend on the demand in your area--- I took classes on a longarm in my area, I was soooo excited!!! & I absolutely hated it! it's a shame, she was a really good teacher, & it wasn't that expensive, but it felt too much like work-- it wasn't as enjoyable to me as the design/sewing process. unfortunately, the shop closed--I think due to the rural area---but it was a great experience DO your research & go from there--good luck! with your choices!
Old 08-22-2014, 04:33 PM

We winter in TX and they is a quilt shop near us that does that and it seems to be popular. I believe they have the quilting boards that you use a stylus to follow. And she did make the quilters do a hour or so training. I do believe that it would work. The only problem I could see is that everyone does not handle a machine the same and some folks can be pretty rough on something that they did not realize the cost of, kind of like renters.. that is just my opinion. I have my own quilting machine so I would not use it, but before I bought the machine I would of rented a machine if possible.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
A shop I am familiar with charged $25 for the class to use the long arm. It then cost $35 per quilt to use the machine ...or per day. In other words, if you don't finish day one it cost another $35 for the next day. Or another $35 if you did two in a day.
Wow, that's a good rate. The shop near me charges $20/hr. (when I inquired a couple of years ago).
Old 08-22-2014, 04:49 PM

When I lived in NC there was a shop that rented the LA. I took the class and quilted one quilt. I don't remember what the costs were but I do remember that I felt rushed..... I didn't want to go over the time that I had expected to rent the machine. I just did an overall design. I'd like to be able to do some free-motion quilting but that would take a lot more time. I moved. The shop closed. Short story..... I wish I have access to a LA again.