Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy? >

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

If You Had $2000.00, What Machine Would You Buy?

Old 03-09-2011, 09:11 PM

I agree.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:23 PM

[quote=watson's mom]
Originally Posted by bevster
I have Bernina 440QE - and the one thing I can't understand why Bernina calls it a QE Quilters Edition as it doesn't even have an automatic thread cutter. Also, the bed is very small to use when machine quilting your quilt.

I love my Bernina 440 QE especially now that they have a 1/4" foot with fabric guide on the side.....but ...I would never buy another expensive machine without the thread cutter. Wish mine had it.
The 440 QE has 5.5 mm stitch width. I think the minimum stitch width to have a thread cutter is 7mm. The narrower stitch width is desirable to many because it doesn't tend to suck fabric down into the bobbin area even without the SS plate. I have a Babylock Quest Plus with 8mm max stitch width, which I LOVE, but I love the 440 as well. One fabulous feature is the pop in/out throat plate, which makes it so fast and easy to switch between the SS and ZZ plates and to clean around the feed dogs often. Btw, I got the 440 used for less than $2K, with a one hear dealer warranty.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:30 PM

My hubby got me the the Husqvarna Viking Rose as my retirement present back in 2004. I would shop around before purchasing another machine and test drive them like crazy. Have had to have this Rose serviced three or four times. It sounds like a mac truck when sewing, don't like the way the feed dogs are set - especially when using the Rose's 1/4" foot as it barely catches the edge of the material, it hates going over seams, detests batiks, and for sure needs to be used with leaders and enders when piecing without the single hole plate. It is also difficult to get the thread, the needle, and the tension set properly to allow for good quality FMQ. I change needles frequently, use really good quality thread, and quilt shop good quality 100% cotton fabric. Having said all this - it could be the user. Love my featherweight for 1/4" seams and piecing - that little gal just hums right along.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:40 PM

I have owned several different brands of machine, my favorite besides my Featherweights is my Bernina, it has been a true sewing friend for many years, I know they are pricey, but they last a llllllong time
Old 03-09-2011, 10:14 PM

I still use my Pfaff 262, which I bought new in 1968. Nothing keeps on ticking like the old mechanicals. I also have a Pfaff 130 that was manufactured in 1950 according to serial number chart. I love that machine, especially for FMQ. It is like a little German tank.

As for the Singers, Pfaffs and Vikings, I was just in JoAnn's last week where the lady that knows, demonstrates and sells the Vikings (and Singers) told me that the Pfaffs are still engineered by the Pfaff (German) engineers, the Vikings are engineered by the Swedes in Sweden where they are made and both of them are made right there in Sweden. As for Singers she really didn't have much to say as to who they are engineered by but she actually had some there in JoAnn's as well.

I have a Pfaff 2170, an embroidery machine made before the Pfaff Creative Vision. Before Pfaffs were made in Sweden but after they were no longer actually made in Germany, they were made in Czechoslovakia. Mine even says so on the machine. And I do love the machine!
Old 03-09-2011, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

I am also a bernina owner and love it. I had a 830 record for close to thirty years and wanted a computerized one. I gave my 830 record to my sister. I found a great deal on an artista 180. It is a wonderful machine with a touch screen and the perfect stitch I am used to.

Then my friend passed away and her family offered me her aurora 440QE with the BSR built in stitch regulator. ( A price I couldn't refuse) I jumped on the oportunity.

But, I will say this, the artista 180 is just as wonderful. The only problem I had with it was the older version programs were not as user friendly to my windows 7 and laptop. The other features are wonderful and it sews like a dream.

I suppose what I am trying to say is. What do you want from a machine? Check them all out and decide for yourself what features are important to you. And importantly if you buy a used machine, make sure it will do everything you want it to do.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 PM

hi I just got a janome 6600p love it alot so much stronger then my husqvarna machines it not plastic it is solid machine well I well let you know more when I do some sewing on her putting her together in my sewing room I am working on a prayer quilt for my daughter she is in nursing school she well be done in may so I want to get this done now I have more sewing space so off I go this is my first king size quilt so I hope I do a good job teaching my self as I go
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM

I have has janome in the past and did not like the automatic needle threader, it broke costantly. This time i went with a babylock and I just love it. To me it surpasses all the Janoime
Old 03-09-2011, 11:53 PM

My choice would be to get a Pfaff or a Brother...with Emb capabilities.
Just my choice.
K
Old 03-10-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieH
Originally Posted by akrogirl
Based on my experiences with just about every make out there, I would go for a Pfaff with IDT.
Pfaff is soooooooo good. I've got an Expression 4 and love it.
Have fun choosing. Well done for the saving.
I also have this machine and the size of the throat and lighting is great. I am still learning - had it about six months.
I also have a Janome Gem for classes.
Dotty D.