Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-20-2011, 06:59 AM

Although it wasn't on your list, I have a Janome Quilters Delight machine. I found it on Craigslist for half price. It was advertised as being used twice and looked new. It is not an electronic machine, but I've been very pleased with it. The only thing I really miss from an electronic machine is the needle-up/needle-down option.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 AM

I couldn't afford any of those machines. I have a Kenmore 19005 and love it. I can embroidery and quilt with it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 AM

I couldn't afford any of those machines. I have a Kenmore 19005 and love it. I can embroidery and quilt with it.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch
"Test drive" all machines available and choose the one that seems to fit your sewing style. Consider service, too, because if something goes wrong you won't want to drive miles and miles to take it in/pick it up. .
I agree with this, find out where the local dealer is. The Viking guy I went to stopped being where he was, I had to go maybe another half hour to a guy, who knew about the old guy I bought from.

I bought a Viking/Husqvarna 630 back in the mid 80's for $800. I suppose it could have been high for that era, but I bought it because my Singer, which I bought new in 1979, wore out. Seems I used it so much the plastic in it wore out, so I bought something that was all metal

I have always been very happy with it, it does a few fancy stitiches, but the basics it does well, and that's what I like. I like anything I do to show MY technique and talent, I just wanted a machine that wouldn't fail me on the basics
Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 AM

I think everyone you ask will have different opinion about machines. So ask yourself these questions.
How much am I willing to spend? Do I want to take a chance on getting a good used one? I think what is really important who will service or fix your machine where you live?
I live where there is Bernina, Viking, Babylock/Pfaff dealers.
So for me I would choose one of them. I have had 3 Vikings because I have been happy with them for what I need which is quilting and all my feet fit my newest machine.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM

1.) What machine you have

Bernina Aurora 440QE

2.) What you love about it

it never gives me any problems. It has many helpful feet. It has a stitch regulator, which is very helpful for FMQ. It has an embroidery module that can be added. I like that for making quilt labels. It just works very well for my needs.

3.) What you don't love about it

Parts are expensive, but they are all metal.

4.) How much you paid for it

$1800--it was a shop demo. I was thrilled to get it for that price.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 AM

I have a phaff expressions 4.0.

I love the IDT, The reason I bought a Phaff, (this is my second)
I love the large harp too

I have had some issues with it and the wonderful dealer that I have has replaced many parts. It is working better now

Things I don't like, it's heavy, it's shimmys and shakes, and it's won't sew multiple layers. I recently had to sew something, and wasn't even that heavy and it overloaded on me, had to dig out my our chaff. I was also trying to quilt a baby quilt and it kept skipping stitches, took it to the dealer and he said my batting was too thick, it was just poly/cotton blend
Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM

Hi! I have Brother machines. But my favorite for quilting is my Quattro. It has an camera underneath so you can see right wear the needle is going next, and it also has target stickers that you can place on a project and push a button, and the machine will find the target sticker. That is where it will drop the needle. It has an extra large space in between the needle and the machine so when you are working on your quilt, you can roll up the quilt and you are not cramming it under and trying to keep it from getting sewn into the area your are working on. (I don't know if that made sense...) The lighting is fantastic. Decorative stitches...OMG!!! And it is also an embroidery machine that can embroider up to a 7" x 10" hoop. It also came with a hefty price tag, but I saved up and then put the rest on a payment plan. I have never regretted it. I have owned 7 Brother machines. I would never even consider another brand. Very dependable and reasonably priced. Even if you are just looking for a sewing machine with no embroidery features, the Laura Ashley Brother sewing machine is fabulous. Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Hi, I have a Bernina 830. LOVE the embroidery module, which I didn't think I would use much, and the wide throat and stitch regulator. I paid about $10k.-ouch..... but worth it....
Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM

I just bought a Viking Sapphire 875 and I love it. I doesn't do embrodiery but it is a great machine. It is my third viking. I also sew on a 30 year old Janome that is a real workhorse.