Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-20-2011, 08:04 AM

I love love love my Bernina 440QE I was always a Pfaff person before I got this machine and since I do all of my quilting on my home mahine I bought it for the stitch regulator which is absolutely wonderful for FMQ and thread painting I very seldom use the Pfaff anymore as the stitches are so nice on this machine I even bought the second one for my daughter expensive yes but well worth it
3000.00 dollars
Old 04-20-2011, 08:23 AM

I have a Janome 6600P and I love it. Price was right and it does have the longer harp area as I quilt all my own quilts.
I think you should decide if you are going to quilt on the machine you decide to purchase, you should think about getting one with a larger harp area. If you plan on having a long arm quilter quilt your quilts you would not need the extra space.
Judy
Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I have a Pfaff 2170 and others but use it the most.
Pros----It has the IDT which I LOVE, lots of stitches and can also embroider. I love the way it sews. Also has needle down, the presser foot can raise automatically if you want it to, it has a knee lift you can use. auto-thread cutter, low bobbin sensor. I know I'm forgetting something.
Cons----It's presser foot lifter is on the right side of the needle housing instead of in the back. It's in the way and when I'm trying to move a quilt around under the needle the fabric will bump into the presser foot lever and knock it down again and again. Very irritating. When I bought it I didn't think it would bother me but it does.
Also I don't often use the embroidery unit. I use my Janome 350e instead.
Price---I bought it used for about $2500.
Would I buy the 2170 again? Probably not since I don't use the embroidery unit. But would I buy a Pfaff for the sewing and IDT? Yes

I also have the Pfaff 2170 and I do indeed use it mostly for embroidery since I have two old mechanical Pfaffs, a 262 and a 130 for regular sewing and actually they have a harp one inch larger (8") and the 2170 has a 7" harp. I have never done a full size quilt on the 2170 and really don't plan to since I have the other two machines which I also prefer when it comes to FMQ. I love the 2170 for all of its features and the lighter weight for taking to classes. I bought it brand new of eBay after the Pfaff Creative Vision had come out, so I paid about $3200 for it two years ago. Signed up for Embroidery Club and Sewing Club at LQS which is where I learned how to use it.

LQS is under new ownership and has phased out selling Pfaffs and Janome. Their two are Brothers and Husqvarna Viking. I am totally impressed by the Viking and if I were upgrading I think it will be the way to go. Had sewing club just last night and before class visited with manager; Viking is coming out soon with a new machine that will have the IDT feature like Pfaffs.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
Janome 6600 - love the accufeed (integrated walking foot) especially for strip piecing. larger (9") throat space. Needle up/down stop at the touch of a button. Knee lift. Also has thread cutter and needle threader but I dont' use these options a lot. A good amount of decorative stitches and alphabet. Don't like the fussyness of the machine with regard to what thread I use - I have to figit with the tension every time I change thread. Paid $700 used.

Huskvarna Lily 535 - love the beautiful perfectly straight stiches, smoothness of the machine, and the fact that I can feed it practically any thread in any stitch and rarely have to change the tension - it just goes. Has a good amount of decorative stitches. No other bells and whistles though. I have no idea what I paid because it was a gift from my husband several years ago. The only thing I don't like about the machine is that I'm hearing it can sometimes be hard to get parts - they've been bought out by Singer and moved manufacturing from Sweden to China now (got mine when it was still made in Sweden). I called the dealer I got mine from yesterday to ask him about something else and he informed me that he will no longer be selling Husky's because he's tired of his customer's getting mad because they have to wait so long for parts. So you might want to think about that. it's too bad because I adore the machine, I just hope I don't need to rely on getting parts for it!!
My LQS now sells Viking; Singer, Pfaff and Viking are all owned by one company, but Pfaff and Singer made in China, but Viking still in Sweden.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM

I have a Babylock Symphony, I know it is not on your list but this machine is geared towards quilters. It came with a few freemotion quilting feet, it has a larger throat, and a really cool circular sewing thingy, plus alot of other goodies. What I love about this machine is its easy to use. I believe it was 1800.00. Go to the Babylock website and take a peek. I am no way affiliated the the company I just love my Symphony. Good luck in your search.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:53 AM

1.) What machine you have--I have a Bernina 1530, It is about 15 yrs old and I love it!

2.) What you love about it--It is a very sturty machine. It slide off the table at a class awhile back and nothing was broken or settings changed. It feels good sewing with it. It was bought mainly for clothe making as I was not really quilting aqt the time. I just recently bought a Brothers to take to classes because it is much lighter in weight and in using it it does not have the positive feelings of the Bernina. I switched back to the Bernina and will use the Brothers for class only.

3.) What you don't love about it--It does what you want it to do.

4.) How much you paid for it (I know this may be a rude question, but I just really need to know what a "good deal"is on these machines... I walk into a dealer and feel like I'm a sitting duck!!!)--15 yrs ago I bought it on sale for around $2500. Recently bought a walking foot for it at $150.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:56 AM

Are you near San Antonio or Austin?

Originally Posted by Grambi
I have a Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.0 and love it.

Features I love: IDT, needle up/needle down, low bobbin alert, 200 plus decorative stitches, beautiful straight stitches, feed dogs drop, foot "hovers" in needle down position. Additional feet have all cost me under $30 each (have heard that some brands are much higher). I don't use the knee lift at this time as I have never tried it. I love the space for quilting.

What I don't like--mainly the service that I have locally. The dealer is sweet as can be, but not the best communicator and I'm not confident in her knowledge of the specific machines. I have heard that they can be picky about threads but I just experiment with needle types, tension and such and so far have had no problems.

I was a sitting duck and paid about $2500. I know that they have sold for about $1500 since but not sure of current price.

There are so many good options out there that it can make a shopper crazed, but sounds like you are doing your homework. At some point we all have to bite the bullet and make a decision and I think that most of us always have a little "buyers remorse" after buying. I just know what features I had to have and didn't waver on that, which were
needle up/needle down, IDT, feed dogs drop, plenty of
throat space for quilting and am happy with those features.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
Husqvarna Viking SE combo sewing/embroidery machine
Sensor Foot that lifts and drops automatically via foot pedal...Pages of decorative stitches including FM stitches built in...
Can't think of one think I hate
Open stock in 2007 4500.00 reg price was 7500...You can find them for around 2500-3000 since they don't make them anymore but do have upgraded models
Always wait for an "Open Stock" sale before paying full price.
Once you work on a Husqvarna I bet you don't bother with your other choices...They are the only one with the sensor foot and it's great on appliques and turning since you don't have manuelly lift a hinge inthe back of your machine...just lift your foot.
I also have an SE and I really like it!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 AM

check out babylock i own bernina and would not own anything else
Old 04-20-2011, 09:17 AM
RDM

I have Pfaff 7550, a great machine, like the dual feed. Plan to buy Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.0-they fixed any problems had with first intro of this machine. Also have Brother 8500 for embroidery--does that well. My friend went from Bernina to Janome and loves her machine and their customer support. Sometimes you can find a great used machine from a local dealer, that's how I got my 7550, almost new. Test drive, check out how they do buttonholes & deco stitches, I found that revealing. I believe in buying from local dealer that offers lessons with purchase, available for questions, sells parts & extra feet, plus does annual maintenance. Make a list of what you want your machine to do so it serves you.