Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If you please, info. about your machine :) >

If you please, info. about your machine :)

If you please, info. about your machine :)

Old 04-20-2011, 12:20 PM

I have sewn on all brands Janome is coming out with the ideal machine of all I am a proud owner of a brother and love it but if I were in the market for a machine I would go and try them all and see which one you lean towards then but try them all out first
Then decide
What type of machine are you really looking for a basic Singer
One with zigzags Brother or Singer The whole nine yards
Try Try Try before you buy the one you feel more comfortable with is the choice you should go Deal offers are good
Old 04-20-2011, 12:34 PM

1.) What machine you have
Husqvarna Viking 990SLE (named Husky :-))

2.) What you love about it
it works great! And the price :-).

3.) What you don't love about it
small area for FMQ

4.) How much you paid for it (I know this may be a rude question, but I just really need to know what a "good deal"is on these machines... I walk into a dealer and feel like I'm a sitting duck!!!)
nothing. My mom gifted it to me about 5 years ago when she purchased her new one (a Viking Designer - don't know which one off-hand). The trade-in value at the time was $350 or thereabouts.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

I have a BabyLock Ellageo which I bought several years ago. I think I paid about 4000 to 5000 for it. It does regular sewing, quilting, and embroidery. Has a multitude of different stitches, needle down feature, thread cutter, and an automatic threader amoungst other great features. It has been an excellent machine and I would definately get another BabyLock if I could.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:45 PM

I have the Elna Excellence. Paid $2200 3 months ago. Love this machine: 11" throat great for quilting, easiest machine to quilt on that I tried, nice even stitches even though it doesn't have stitch regulator, knee lift, comes with all the feet you need plus a built in walking foot, wonderful storage area to hold all attachments, needle up/down, auto thread cutter.
The only thing it doesn't have is low bobbin indicator.
The only thing I don't care for is the needle threader seems kind of chintzy but it still does the job. Janome makes a machine that is a twin to this and maybe it's needle threader is better.
Definitely give this one a try!
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM

I have two Pfaff's and love them. I love the IDT ( built in dual feed). They run and run - are real work horses. They are quiet and well manufactured. My dad was an engineer and mechanic and always said a good machine of any kind, ran quiet and smoothly whether it was a car, washing machine or sewing machine.

But they are pricey -- but I feel worth it.

However, I feel the best thing to do is to buy a quality machine from a local, reputable dealer that has a service person on board. Pfaff, Viking, Bernina, Baby Lock, Janome, Suki, etc are all great. but if something happens and you have to send it away and wait a long time - it is not worth it.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 PM

I am a Pfaff girl, have the 7570 and the 2170,. as stated by the others, they are fantastic and easy machines to use. I have had Babylock and Janome and kenmores - but keep going back to the Pfaff. I also like my 221 featherlite. if you do not use it for embroidery, don't go hi end look into a used 7570 Pfaff. good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Bernina 180 updated to 185 with embroidery unit
I got it in 2001 and is suppose to be outdated but I love the machine. Sewing everything with it and no problem. I believe now you can it at ebay for $ 800 and I $ 4800.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Bicycle
Hi All,

I am in the process of researching new sewing machines - and what a process it is!!! I'm sure you all have been asked these types of questions SO many times that you're tired of it, but I need help!

Okay - I'm looking at Pfaff, Bernina, and possibly Elna... I've heard wonderful things about Pfaff, so that's the direction I'm leaning (Berninas are SO expensive and I've heard mixed reviews on Elnas)...

*** I just realized that I forgot to add Husqvarnas to the list - I am looking into those too, but I don't know much about their machines and which model would be best for quilting***

If you could spare a moment, let me know:

1.) What machine you have
2.) What you love about it
3.) What you don't love about it
4.) How much you paid for it (I know this may be a rude question, but I just really need to know what a "good deal"is on these machines... I walk into a dealer and feel like I'm a sitting duck!!!)

I feel like you are all the best people possible to ask - quilters! I will be using the machine primarily for quilting. Large throat space and smooth, even FMQing are a couple of things that are important to me when quilting.

THANK YOU so much (in advance) for your help and advice :D
Designer Diamond had a Ruby but thought I had a lemon so just traded up, got full amount of the machine towards the Diamond.
I love everything about it, automatic presser foot, Q foot has a sensor, easy to change feet. Con is it is a little tight changing the needle getting the fingers in there...3500 dollars plus the Designer ruby good deal for me. I got a free tote for the embroidery arm and bought a tote for the machine. It came with 3 nice hoops.I got free lessons and private lessons too. Plus there are embroider clubs I can go too at my dealers shop...lessons are a must unless you are a computer geek.
Love love love this machine, and have been having fun with making tea towels and plan on making lots of things...only have had this machine since February.
I also have a Sapphire and would not trade her for anything...a real workhorse and basic machine. Does not embroider but that is not what I wanted her for...I just machine quilt with her..easy to use....
Old 04-20-2011, 01:06 PM

I have two Janomes the MC10000 (embroidery) and the 6600 for quilting. I love them both. The 6600 has a wonderful walking foot, lots of stitchs. I paid $5,000 for 10000 and $1,400 for the 6600. I have to say that a big part of your decision should include the dealer. I had a wonderful dealer which had a lot to do with how much I loved my machines. They went out of business and the next closest dealer is not someone I want to do business with. Janome really doesn't have good support, it's all on the dealer.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM

I have and Elna which is 30 years old and still going strong. Nothing Fancy..forward and backward and zigzag stitching. I also have a Husqvarna/Viking which is about 10 years old and still going strong. Very good for piecing quilts and general sewing. Nothing fancy...forward, back and zigzag stitching. It does not seem to have the power for thicker sewing like rag quilts. I also have a Pfaff that is about 5 years old. Nothing fancy again. But it does have more power than the other two. And it is very quiet. Have a very good Pfaff dealer in my area and I think that it most important of all. This machine also has a built in feeder foot. I did not buy top of the line because my budget does not permit. I did not pay over $800 for any other these machines.