Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: If you were to replace your rotary cutter....

I really like my Martelli rotary cutter. It works great if you have any hand issues. I do have the cutting board but the ruler that came with it, I never did get the hang of how to use that!! The cutting mat is ok, nothing exceptional compared to other mats other than it is two sided. I will always recommend the Martelli cutter but have reservations about the cutting mat for the cost of it.

Quote Originally Posted by icul8rg8r View Post
    ...which brand rotary cutter would you get, and why? What's your favorite? Which size to you use most often?

I have a very old Fiskars (45 I think) rotary cutter that I think I used for paper/scrapbooking. It's been working okay with a new blade, but now that I've invested in a nice rotary mat and Creative Grid & June Tailor (ShapeCut) rulers, I'd really like to invest in some nice rotary cutters, as well. Just haven't a CLUE what's best and which brands to stay away from.....

Your suggestions & recommendations would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    I have a new Gingher and I love it. More expensive but worth it.
    Judi in Ohio

I like my Fiskars with the button that makes the blade go up and down. I guess it's what you get used to. This one fits me best.

I have Olfa, Fiskars and Martelli blades and use them interchangeably in the various branded handles. Even though it looks like you need to have the "correct" blade with the holder that does not hold true. As far as the blades go I love the Martelli blades. They stay sharp longer for me.

Which rotary cutter?

Quote Originally Posted by mike'sgirl View Post
    I have used both Fiskars and Olfa, and I like them both. I have seen the Martelli cutters, but they cost a lot! I don't know anyone who uses one. Maybe someone does and will give an opinion.
    Also, I use a 45.
    I've tried most of the brands. Here's my abreviated rundown.
    Martelli: Great cutter. Takes some learning time, but prevents my thumb arthritis hurting. Expensive, but worth it.
    Clover: great cutter, but difficult to find. Like all Clover products, it is a great return for value.
    Olfa: Love the newest cutter with two push blade extenders. This allows me to use either hand for cutting without twisting into a corkscrew. Can get it at Joann's with a 50% discount coupon.
    The type that is spring loaded and the blade retracts when released. Bad choice for those with arthritis. It hurts to constantly squeeze it to keep cutting.

Just a reminder: Before rotary cutters there were scissors. I have a drawer full and keep buying them for specific tasks. When all else fails, try scissors!
    SandyQuilter
    SandyQ

Quote Originally Posted by quilty 69 View Post
    Where can I find the Martelli cutter
    I bought mine at my local quilt shop. I've also seen them at shows. You could also go to their website.

I've been using a 45 mm Martelli for a bunch of years now. I didn't find it difficult to switch to this different way of holding a rotary cutter and my wrist has never complained. I only switch to a smaller Olfa if I need to do any smaller curved cutting, with templates.

Blog Entries
    I only have a Fiskars. But, I'd love to have another one. I'm interested as to what kind everyone recommends too.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I have them all and prefer my Martelli - for those that think they are too expensive, check Overstock.com That is where I got mine and the price was very reasonable, about $19 for the 45mm. I am getting the 60mm next.
    "May the works of my hands be pleasing in Your sight, O God."
    From 'A Quilter's Prayer' by Patricia Hauze

Blog Entries
    Martelli. is my favorite. Much easier on my wrist. I use my Fiskars for paper etc.

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I love my Olfa ergonomic 45mm cutter. I like it because you squeeze the handle and the blade is ready to go and once you release the handle it goes back to a safe position. I have other ones where you have to push the protective slide up and down and I'm always forgetting to do so. The 45 seems to be a good size.

I wore out my fiskars, they snap shut while I'm trying to cut, now I use olfa and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    I have a OLFA (45) that I really like. Just like an old friend, although she has bit me once. This particuliar one is the kind that when you grasp the handle you lower the blade and when you lay it down it automatically retracts, a really good safety feature. Have wondered about the ergonomic ones. Will be interested to hear what everyone thinks.
    That is what I have and I love that feature!!!! I really think it saves me (my fingers) daily!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I have a dritz which im not crazy about at all. I just ordered an olfa ergonomic by the recommendations here. I also ordered the mule tailor ruler so the dritz won't fit in the template so I needed a new cutter as it is...

For those asking, the Martelli is available thru Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+rotary+cutter
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Now that I have a Gingher rotary cutter I wouldn't buy anything else.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
    I have a OLFA (45) that I really like. Just like an old friend, although she has bit me once. This particuliar one is the kind that when you grasp the handle you lower the blade and when you lay it down it automatically retracts, a really good safety feature. Have wondered about the ergonomic ones. Will be interested to hear what everyone thinks.
    I have the same one. It spoils you when using another kind because you/I forget to retract the blade. I'd buy another one just like it.
    TwandasMom

I like the last OLFA cutter that I bought. You can open just half the blade at a time, depending on which side you want to use. I like the Martelli cutters but I don't use them like they're made for -- I pinch mine instead of using them ergonomically with my wrist straight, lol! I usually use the 45mm size blades.

I cut erverything with the Fiskar blade attached to a 6X24 inch ruler..I recently contacted the company because they are no longer made, and I wanted one for my daughter..They said they will be making them again this year, due to quilter demand

I love the Olfa that retracts when at the end of the strip, So much safer, then I can press a button to lock it away from young inquisitive fingers.It is also curved to help with problem hands.

Power Poster
    I've used both, as well as the ergonomic handled rotary cutters and I find they both do the job and I often switch off, depending on whether or not I have put them back in place. I'm afraid I have a habit of putting something down and then having it disappear on me, probably just me and/or early old timer's. LOL.

I have one of the old Fiskars grey rotary cutter with the orange release button, I like it and it works for me. The newest Fiskars cutter is much more difficult to open and close, the design has been changed. If you've got arthritic fingers/thumbs,
    this isn't the cutter for you. I still like the ergonomic Olfa cutters the best. I prefer the 45mm for most cutting jobs, but for multiple layers, the 60mm is a better choice.
    Sharon in Texas

Will I be able to cut through 4 layers of fabric with the 45 mm Olfa ergonomic blade?? Should I have ordered the 60mm one??

I continue to purchase the ergonomic Fiskars with the 45 mm blade. They just fit my hand comfortably. I like that the button to retract the blade is right at my thumb. I've also used a straight Olfa, but didn't care for it. Maybe an ergonomic one would be different. I also have one of those green ones, Clover, I think, which was in a basket of quilting goodies I won. I've never used the Gingher or met anyone who does, so haven't been able to test drive one. For me, the cost of a Gingher is prohibitive.

I love my Olfa Ergonomic. It keeps me from cutting myself, since I have to focus to keep the blade out. I also like that it is ambidextrous, since I am left handed. The Martelli felt too awkward for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast