Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ignorant quilter eating her words

Blog Entries
    We should all belong to quilters anonymous(?)

Such a smashing thread. Have read through nodding, smiling and chuckling. Rock on quilters.

When we moved the 700+ miles from Illinois to Oklahoma back in 2007, I didn't think twice about leaving 2 rubbermaid buckets of scraps behind, I didn't have a clue as to what I could possibly ever do with them. O_o What on earth was I thinking??? Now I so wish I could go back in time and insist that "Yes hunny, they are important enough to bring"! LOL. Will never make that mistake again.

Always kept a place for my ''toy box'' n our camping van. This is the best way to meet people on a camping ground, people just want to know what you're doing. Inside a couple of hours you get to know all the quilters!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie Jo
    Sorry I cant say much..Iam choking on my own words! Oh well it keeps us out of the bars...lol
    Not my problem. There are no bars where I live -- so I have my own stash.

I was in 4H from the time I was 9 until I was 18. Every year I had to sew a piece of clothing. I hated it! Each project was harder as the years went by. I have had a sewing machine since I was a kid. A few years ago my mom showed me some fabric that she was receiving on a monthly basis through a fat quarter club of the month. I thought hmm that is interesting. Well needless to say I decided to to join one of those clubs myself and started to receive fabric. Started looking on ebay for fabric and became addicted very quickly. I love sewing now. I am so thankful that my mom made me sew all those years.

lmao !!!

Oh you are part of a wonderful group! I've even started to swoon over the colors of thread in Connecting Threads. I just need a couple of more blue spools - and another spool holder to match the two I have. Join the crowd!

I know the feeling. I had to get another storage system for my stash. Ive only been doing this for a few months and cant stay out of the sales at JoAnns.

I hear ya!!!!

...and it's WAY cheaper than therapy!!

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the great addiction of creativity

hate to tell this but I still smoke. one day while smoking, I started thinking about how much fabric I could buy with my cig money.... have cut my smoking in half and plan to quit my spring! everytime I want a cigarette, I think of a fat quarter lol

All I can say is, if you have to have an addiction..................this is one that is sanity-saving, peaceful, and I can't say that about any other addiction!

Blog Entries
    or two ! Good for you, keep it up

Blog Entries
    I remember being out and abouts with my mom shopping, and there would be times she would see some fabric and drool over it. I would look at her and say "whatever mom". I didn't understand how she could think a piece of fabic was gorgeous. I don't know really how it happened, but we drool together now. Thank God!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leonajo
    hate to tell this but I still smoke. one day while smoking, I started thinking about how much fabric I could buy with my cig money.... have cut my smoking in half and plan to quit my spring! everytime I want a cigarette, I think of a fat quarter lol
    More power to you! :lol:

Blog Entries
    Words are calorie free, quilting is so much fun, thank the neighbor and be a "poor" quilter having way too much fun.
    Thanks for the laugh.

do you find yourself looking at something (non-quilt related) to buy that you dont really have to have and saying to yourself "I could buy alot fabric for what that would cost". If you do your an addict. I havent had my hair cut in about 6 months, lol

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    Hi ! I am a quilt/sewing addict,I must support my addiction by working. I have all the latest greatest tho, my kids & my DH are seeking to have me taken to Rehab, but they will never catch me!! I will hide under my stash holding all my gadgets ! LOL
    Well welcome to the addict blog of quilters annonymous !!LOL

in hiding !! witness protection program LOL
    And the ad for Beacon house was right above my last post to call their counselors !LOL OH it just fit right in !LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MaRanda
    Quilters Rehab.... Never thought of that. One thing about it there are alot of people here who would qualify. We would be (could be) a great big happy family just like on here! LOL
    Do you think they would let us quilt while we're there?! LOL!! Just saying , at least we would come out w/a completed project - think of it as a kind of Retreat! WINK WINK :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Don't feel bad, I grew up with quilting---mom pieced by hand, dad's mom on the machine. I had an older sister that quilted, then another one started doing it. I said, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. Why take a perfectly good piece of fabric and cut it into tiny piece just to have to sew it back together again. Of course I remember mom using cereal box templates and scissors to cut each little piece. Then I went to a quilt show at Hancock Fabrics, found out about all the new, "make it easier" gadgets, sign up for a beginners class and the rest is history.
    My mother was a fantastic seamstress & with 3 girls she stayed busy making clothing for us. Your quote reminded me of her after all 3 of her girls took to quilting & became addicted, "That's the supidest thing I've ever heard of, cutting a perfectly good piece of fabric into little pieces & then SEWING IT BACK TOGETHER". Once she decided she was going to make a quilt top for each of us & she chose the "Lone Star" pattern, made her cardboard template & used it to mark about a zillion diamond shapes & then cut them out. Well, needless to say as she progressed her template shrank & by the time I received my quilt top it had 9 (yep,9) star points.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    When I was dragged to my first quilting class (protesting loudly, kicking and screaming) by a neighbor, I heard people talking about their stash ( what's that ?) saying they were addicted to fabric, and I thought how silly they were. Who ever heard of anyone being addicted to fabric of all things. Well. a year and a half later, numerous rulers, 3 cutting mats, several rotary cutters, numerous books, special iron, quilt wall, boxes of thread, several gadgets, new sewing machine and special feet, and even two boxes of scraps and a little fabric (ha) I am so addicted, and so broke I don't know whether to love or hate my neighbor. Talk about eating my words !!!!
    Yep, my dear departed neighbor came back from winter in Fla with patterns for place mats and DRAGGED me to Joanns for fabric to make some for myself. She got me hooked. I couldn't believe I would get so deeply entrenched in this craft, hobby, or whatever you call it. I never thought I would quilt. I always said quilting was like watching paint dry. Sew a straight seam here, a straight seam there.... Well, I am hooked!!!! Big time :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Blog Entries
    Congratulations and welcome to the club! I, too, grew up with a mom who both sewed and quilted. I let her teach me to embroidery but that was my limit. Now, many years later, I have the quilting bug so bad that my dh and my dd's give me limits on how many ufo's I can have and still buy more fabric. Which is good, or I would be a compulsive fabriholic and have projects stacked up all over the house! This board is kind of like a QA meeting, only we're not trying to recover, we're here to encourage each other to keep quilting! How fun is that?!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast