Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the IKEA machine >

the IKEA machine

the IKEA machine

Old 05-29-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
If it's made as well as their furniture and other accessories it should last a few months:< I was just there with a friend and didn't see this for sale. Honestly, I don't know why you'd want to give that to a child? IMO it looks like a cheap piece of plastic.
I agree ... Ikea has IMO lost quality a great deal in recent years. About 10 years ago we purchased our bed and wardrobe there and love them. We went there a month or so ago to look at book shelves for the family room and could not believe how much the quality has degraded. I honestly don't think I'd trust Ikea with electronics, they can't even make a decent book shelf - how hard is that?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 PM

I second the idea to go to eBay and check out vintage machines. You can share history of sewing and what was going on in the world at the time the machines were made as well as sharing your love of sewing. These older machines are easily maintained or repaired as DH and I are learning.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
I agree ... Ikea has IMO lost quality a great deal in recent years. About 10 years ago we purchased our bed and wardrobe there and love them. We went there a month or so ago to look at book shelves for the family room and could not believe how much the quality has degraded. I honestly don't think I'd trust Ikea with electronics, they can't even make a decent book shelf - how hard is that?

LOL!! I love IKEA for the design aspect and ingenuity behind their product, but the actual product is well, disposable, usually. Everything is pretty inexpensive and particle board, and doesn't hold up to any sort of long term use. My son's drawers literally fell apart within a few days and became a safety hazard. What did he do other than open and close a drawer or two every day....nothing. So the $200ish dresser lasted about 5 years give or take a year. There are things I just won't buy there. Anything that will get day to day abuse will NOT last. Shelving etc. that really is decorative or pieces that aren't used every day are better bets. I love IKEA but I'm also very aware of its deficiencies! I buy sheets, towels, decorative pieces-things like that. Beds, couches, flooring, kitchen cabinets, I stay clear of. I have an IKEA bed in my guest room that gets used maybe 6 nights a year and its surface is all chipped and looking yucky. It's probably 8 years old. So, that's maybe 48-58 nights of useage? I don't think my guests were that active in it, but I'd have to ask to double-check!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM

if i provide good materials for my daughter's projects, i am teaching her that her work has value. i am also teaching her that the materials she uses have intrinsic value and should be respected.

she's 7 and has been watching me sew her whole life. i just bought her a janome 372 machine on kijiji (canadian craig's list) for $100. it's pretty much the same machine that has served me loyally for almost 20 years. she's sewing on paper right now, figuring out how the pedal works.

she'll learn step by step how to take care of the machine and to sew, just like i did. and hopefully she will grow to love it.

the children's machines all look like crap to me. there's no reason a child can't use a regular machine, and learn to care for and respect it. for kids without a mom, a good machine bought by a loving neighbour might be the only machine they get for a good long time. for an extra $40, if you can afford it, is a huge difference in quality.

aileen
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 AM

I think it is wonderful that you want to pass the art on to others!! I would look at the machine when you get a chance and see how the construction works..I have a machine that I have been using for years that has a plastic body and I paid only $99 for...It is all I have and it works great...I say don't judge the machine by the cover..look a little deeper!!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:15 AM

Jacquie, I know this isn't what you asked, but last night, during my cruising the information superhighway, I found this: http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Brother-LS2300PRW-Limited-Edition-Project-Runway-Sewing-Machine-Refurbished/6475242/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

I don't even know what Ikea is, so I can't help you with your original question! But I thought this was a sweet deal and am considering buying one for myself as a back up and it might be a good machine for the girls. Good for you to teach them!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:32 AM

I'm with everyone else--Much better off to get a vintage real machine at a yard sale or on ebay for the girls to learn on. It's what my DGD's will be learning on someday. You can pick one up usually for around $25.00, sometimes less, sometimes free!
Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 AM

You must go to Ikea.com and just check out this store!! I have an Ikea 45 minutes away here on Long Island, and shop there as often as my purse will allow. They have an interesting variety of fabrics. I recently purchased 15 yards of my favorite print and completely re-decorated my lower level family room which includes an 'L' which I use for my sewing studio. As for Ikea's furniture, three weeks ago I replaced my 25 year old Ikea twin floor-to-ceiling wardrobes for two high dressers from their Hemnes series. These new, very large dressers are well constructed, easily assembled and cost only $249 each (on sale). I also purchased the matching nightstands. We still use our 22 year old Ikea wicker head/foot board queen sized bed. It's holding up extremely well for its age. I must also note that both my daughters (now 28 and 22) have taken their own Ikea bedroom furniture with them as they left the nest. Those furniture pieces are at least 15 years old and still look as good as the day I brought them home. Of course, my girls take good care of their belongings and did not 'rough house'. If you do not have an Ikea nearby, I could not suggest you purchase online and have your items shipped as their shipping charges are astronomical!!! Better to visit the store and enjoy the experience. I hope you get to do that someday soon. I know you will not be disappointed!!QUOTE=AshleyR;5252873]Jacquie, I know this isn't what you asked, but last night, during my cruising the information superhighway, I found this: http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Brother-LS2300PRW-Limited-Edition-Project-Runway-Sewing-Machine-Refurbished/6475242/product.html?cid=202290&kid=9553000357392&track=pspla&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}

I don't even know what Ikea is, so I can't help you with your original question! But I thought this was a sweet deal and am considering buying one for myself as a back up and it might be a good machine for the girls. Good for you to teach them![/QUOTE]
Old 05-30-2012, 05:33 AM

Well, I can say it is adorable! I've never bought anything from Ikea because we don't have one in our area. If you have one nearby, you can always get it and test it out before letting the girls sew on it. I also am teaching my 5yo DGD to sew...we're just beginning...and I picked up one of the children's machines ($10) for her to "play with". It was a chain stitch only and she got very frustrated with it. "I" was frustrated with it!! I ended up letting her sit in my lap with me guiding her hands and me using the foot pedal on my 15-91 and she couldn't get enough of sewing small strips together!! I think that made all the difference in the world to her. Every time she comes, she asks to sew!!
Old 05-30-2012, 05:42 AM

I will also add that I was given a vintage machine when I was younger, and it was a nightmare! I wasn't taught how to use it, though, and I am sure that would have made a big difference. I learned to sew in Home Ec classes and so I knew the basics, but that machine was very mean to me! I stopped sewing for a very long time because I was intimidated by the old machine. I got a cheapie one from Walmart when I started again and I'm glad that I did b/c it didn't scare me!