Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'll never buy FQs again. >

I'll never buy FQs again.

I'll never buy FQs again.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim View Post
I find that most pre cuts are not exact. I have had issues with layer cakes in particular which is a nuisance when making 1/2 sq triangles. I am beginning to think it is worth the extra effort to cut my own from yardage
I don't buy jelly rolls and charm packs any more as they are very expensive for what you get and often not cut correctly so that they are usable.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM

My pet peeve is finishing off a bolt with 2 or 3 inches left on the bolt. In the old days when you bought the last of the bolt. The clerk would throw in anything less than a quarter yard. I ask why it wasn't donated as part of the purchase. The clerk stated it was the policy to charge by the inch. IN spite I ordered the two inches cut off. When I got home I found the piece had not been squared on one end and it was cut catty whampus anyway. I now have a patch on my sleeper arm because I could not fit the piece. Despite this I am a happy sewing person.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I strongly agree, CT does give generous cuts. The first time I ordered from them I thought I had been cheated because some of the fat quarters seemed small. Then I counted them and took a closer look, and realized that if I end up with a piece that seems on the small side, it's because they ran out of the bolt at that point and GAVE me that fat quarter at no charge. I had ordered 20 FQs and ended up with 24 pieces of fabric.
I've had the same great experience!

Extra smaller than usual FQs that were bonuses instead of "cheats"!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by MarleneC View Post
Interesting-I was in Kaua'i in October and visited two fabric shops--I didn't buy anything. I did notice at one shop they used electric/battery scissors to cut the fabric. A new one on me. I didn't buy anything. I need a pattern or idea before buying fabric and couldn't find any that begged me to buy. I've never measured the FQs but since I have quite a stash I now realize that I should.
*LOL* I'd estimate that I've bought less than ten FQs on my beautiful island: I pig out buying them on the mainland when we visit our DD's family every summer and online. I'm a Log Cabin fanatic so kazillions of different colours/patterns mean I have hundreds and hundreds of them in my stash.

Yardage is a different matter. I can't believe you got out of Kapaia Stitchery without buying any of their fabulous batiks! They cut accurately and generously!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
I have taken to buying yardage,usually 2 if I can afford it if not then at least 1 . This is my way of thinking. I will always use it somehow, I have enough to finish what I want. If I don't use all of it I can always sell a fat quarter or two of it and recoup my money a little. When I cut my fabric down prior to wrapping on boards I did cut some FQ and a little bigger. Anything less got cut down. I just never saw the logic in buying FQ's.
I'm not a whiz at figuring out whether something is well prices relative to something else, but I caught on real fast when FQs began showing up on the scene. How do you justify the per yard cost when you're paying $3.99 for a FQ? or even $2.99? Buy the quarter yard, stand there while they cut it and go home and be happy. The price for FQ bundles is even more ridiculous.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:50 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

oh my !! this is why I stick to buying yardages, yeppers I have left overs but it sure is fun to make a scrappy quilt of the leftovers !LOL
Old 12-24-2012, 05:57 AM

Unfortunately that happens and even when they are standing in front of you cutting. We are bless here to have an LQS only about 25 minutes away and they are wonderful. Doesn't matter what you buy they will often give you whats left on a bolt for free when they cut. I've only purchased a handful of FQ last year and that was at a Walmart in that town because it was pretty decent quality and alot better than what they have at the Walmart in my town and only because the prints and colored were unique and those were cut fine.

I mostly buy at minimum 2 yards of any fabric and more often at least 5 yards or bolts because I know I will make good use of it down the road.

I agree with what someone else stated regarding FQ's that they are not all equal in quality and buying certain brands is usually better.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:32 AM

I have gotten to be kind of snobbish w/ places like JoAnn's that no long gives "good deals" on the end of the bolt. I will generally figure an extra 1/8 to 1/4 yrd to offset their inability to cut straight. So, if there's only a couple inches left and they aren't going to give it to me - OK, cut it off, I really don't need it either.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 AM

And FQ can be expensive yardage. You figure $3 for a FQ, that's $12/yd....
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM

I work at the major retailer. Most of the people that work in the fabric department would never think of cutting anything but as straight as they can get it. You just have to nicely explain why it is better to "nip" the fabric so you can tear it straight. It would actually save the company money if everyone of the associates would put the shears down except for nipping the fabric where she wanted to tear it. Yes I am a quilter and used to sew for the public. (quilts). We all know quilts need to be cut straight don't we? Love to all you quilters and "needlers"! Eileen