Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

Quilt studio clean out - I may never buy fabric again

And I can make quilts until I die without running out...my 13 year grandson came over to help me clean out my quilt studio (his idea). I have at least 30 UFOs...and enough scraps to keep me sewing for years. To tell the truth, I'm a little embarrassed...I just haven't really cleaned out for a long time....and I now feel like a hoarder! I told Jackson that I was going to start making up and giving quilt kits and fabric to the 2 quilting organizations I belong to. Do you ever feel this way when you're stunned by your excess?

I do feel this way too! I have so much fabric, even on bolts and think I should give it away, sell it, whatever but then think ... I could use it for quilt backs. And on and on. I did give quite a bit of smaller cuts of fabric away, not scraps, some FQ, larger etc. But not a dent in my stash.
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

I think this all the time, then it's time to start my next project and I just have to have a specific color or print so I go buy more. I keep telling myself to stop buying more and more, but I know I won't listen. For example, I'm heading to Lancaster this week. I know I won't come home without more fabric.

I make a lot of controlled scrappy quilts with left overs from other projects and yet my stash grows and grows.

You know, mine is in tubs so it doesn't seem like much. I would love to have room to shelve it so i could really get the full picture. I bought 62 yds at one store last week and it didn't come close to filling a tub. I need to he jolted into fabric reality.

Power Poster
    If I didn't have a good stash, I couldn't afford to make quilts with the price of fabrics today. All my fabric is contained in one cupboard on boards so I don't have a huge stash.

I did a full inventory and clean up this past September. Actually, I scared myself. Had no idea I had collected this much fabric. Still, when other QB members talk about their stash, mine would only qualify as "small potatoes". I bought no fabric from November until just last week. CT had a good sale so I bought some very basic fabrics. The last 8 or so quilts I made, I completed just using my stash. It felt good but I've hardly made a dent. Don't be embarrassed, it has probably happened to most of us. You will put it to good use, and you're right, I wouldn't be still quilting if I had to pay $14 or more a yard.

Sometimes it isn't stunned its horrified which is why I joined the fabric moratorium this year. SouthP feel your pain. Like you, I havn't bought since the end of November but the CT temptation is looming. I am about a click away from buying enough for a queen size top that I designed on EQ, love their mirage solids.

Hoarding is defined as unsanitary or useless items. Fabric is fine. Continue collecting in good health!

Hmmm no not really. I do have stash. Most not new but bought scraps from others. I feel good about what I have and feel I can quilt for a long time. Kind of like having a pantry full of food when money is low. I think it is great you are sharing with worthy organizations. We are all different and in different situations. If you know you will not use it for sure it is great to pass it along.
    Anna Quilts

The last few years I have been buying quilt kits when I find a sale. They are easier to store and everything I need in one package. I may make the pattern of the kit or use a different one. I have a standing cabinet full of quilt kits and slowly using up my stash. I cut a lot of my yardage into scraps pieces to make Bonnie Hunter scrap quilts but I cut the sizes 1/2 size bigger then she does. I keep a good supply of backing, at least 7 yards of each backing fabric. I have my stash down to I can find what I want and still have plenty and of course room to store more.

Think of it this way... fabric is going to do nothing but go up in prices... I feel fabric collecting is like any collecting. Like any good collection it goes up in value.

Blog Entries
    all I'm going to say is YUP!

ro
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    i've gotten to the point that i dont even want to look for fabric if i need it. i'd rather go to the store and buy more than to look thru the bins. now this is crazy!

Blog Entries
    I finally got my stash organized, but I don't feel that I have it under control. There's just too much of it! I finally stopped buying fabric. I'm hoping to pull from my stash and make up kits for myself to facilitate me working through at least half of what I have.

I can't imangine having so much fabric, that I could give it away, but Kuddo's to you. I have quilted for about 30 years, and still can only afford what I am using today, and have to plan on buying sales, coupons, to help. I have a tub with some scraps in it..Maybe some day....LOL
    Dyan

I do feel stunned by how much fabric I have at times. But...it doesn't stop me from buying more...lol. Sometimes it is hard to keep track of everything and if you really want something, lord knows you won't be able to find it. On the other hand, I know I won't "have" to buy fabric for any project for a really long time.
    enjoy your life...it's the only one you have!!!
    Heather

Don't worry you aren't the only persons with alot of UFO's. I think of it this way, I have plenty of fabric for when my budget might not allow me to purchase more.

My sister lives in Rochester (she only ever made one quilt and quit-darn)
    Kat

I thought I had a stash but now after reading about how much some quilters have, I don't feel so bad! I have a hard time buying fabric unless I have a project in mind. I do have quite a few fat quarters but made myself use from them for Christmas projects. I actually wish I had more because of the price of fabric now. B ut not to worry, I still have plenty of UFO's to work on.
    Deanne Ellen

Quilts,Books,and Wine,Oh My!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    We must be hoarder sisters !!!!
    I too have tons to last me quite a few lifetimes... Its great to shop my own stash at 2am but sometimes finding room to work becomes a real pain in the butt !!!!

I also have lots and lots of fabric, most folded on the foam boards, but some in the 27 quart plastic bins. And actually bought even more fabric at the JoAnn's here by my aunts house. Was actually able to use coupons this time - four 50% off (got 4 different bundles) and two 40% off, and the other fabric was on sale.

I am nearing the end of cleaning/organizing my sewing room. I have a huge closet across the end of the room with plastic shelves and I have my fabric in tubs - by color. As I was working on this organization, I feared I was a hoarder, had the hoarder show on one day. I decided since I didn't find any dead animals, AND I could still walk thru the room that I was OK. Now that I'm nearing the end of cleaning, WHY do I get so many "fabric sale" emails-? SO tempting. I'm glad I'm among friends on this board......there is always someone to rationalize buying more.....
    Tough times don't last, tough people do.

Time2: I always think, its a good sign when there are no dead animals in my sewing room. Some members have removed themselves from mailing lists so they won't be tempted. That takes a will of steel. If you have no temptation how can you learn to withstand it, so I think of it as character building to leave myself on the mailing list.

Most of my stash are smaller amounts of fabric, from scraps to fat quarters, maybe some half yards. I have a bunch that were giveaways from friends, but few large pieces. I offered to help our church children's group to make pillowcases for Ronald McD house at nearby hospital, and am finding I don't have much on hand that is appropriate. So we'll have to buy for that. When I have a project, like the queen quilt I'm working on now, I had to buy larger amounts for the background, though am using a pack of half yards from last year's VT shop hop, and some other pieces I had on hand. Big cost is going to be the backing. I wish my stash had better storage, as I don't have a dedicated room, just a big closet and the kids' old dressers that I filled with bits when they left home.

I'm feeling your pain. ( it's a good pain though) Hubby went to an auction yesterday and bought around 120 yards of fabric. I'm still washing but have found 9 pieced sunbonnet' sue's ready to be appliqued and a wedding ring cut and ready to sew together. I even have a few flour, salt and sugar sacks but the coolest thing of all is a Nutrena Egg Mash printed napkins/ placemats and tablerunner uncut. Havent ever seen that before.
    Anyway, My sewing room is overflowing but I dont think I'll ever get tired of buying fabric. I just need to learn to sew faster.

I have a huge stash, too, and decided this year will be "the year of giving quilts away." I already make quilts for my close relatives- my children and siblings. But I decided that this year I would make and give away quilts - using my stash- to many of my cousins, and that I would also use my stash to make pieced backs. I just feel its ridiculous to have so much fabric sitting there, unused. And don't even get me started on my scrap bins. I have a quilting Facebook page that I posted some quilts on yesterday, and when one cousin loved one of them, I thought, ok, she gets that one! And when I give her that one, that means I will also give each of her sisters a quilt too. So I'll be "forced" to stick with my plan.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast