Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm about to kill my machine! >

I'm about to kill my machine!

I'm about to kill my machine!

Old 09-26-2011, 04:59 AM

Your thread may not be of good enough quality, there could be a burr on your quilting foot which is cutting the thread or your tension may be too tight. It is unlikely to be because it was spray basted.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by simplyme
I have had this problem in the past too. You should always rethread and than change the needle. Even if it is a new needle change it again. Also, check to see if you are using the right needle for the thread you are using.
Is there a chart for this? I order needles from a singer221 site. I use Gutterman thread. I am recently having a problem with my top thread traveling into the internal bobbin case housing on my 221. Note that I have been using this machine for 2 years and have not had this problem until now.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:24 AM

Sweetheart, your husband is right.....you do not need a new
machine. Do all of the above, and one more thing:
Lay your thread in a jar and put it behind your machine.
Pull it up behind the machine and into the top guide, thread the machine as usual. Pulling the thread UP takes
out the kinks. Thread kinks like a garden hose and it needs a chance to straighten. I buy my thread on a huge
5000 meter spool and it stands behind the machine, or lay a small spool on its side in a jar.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:49 AM

I wouldn't think it is the basting spray....I use this all the time. However, I can understand your frustration as this was happening to me as well. Someone on this board advised I use a #16 needle, and since then I haven't had anymore problems.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:56 AM

If all fails, you could have a burr on the hook. It's easy to fix. Take some very very fine sandpaper and polish it out. I check the hook frequently.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:57 AM

For FMQ stretch needles are the best-the longer scarf lets the thread lay better on the needle. Also check that your thread isn't getting caught up on something, I've had that happen when there was a tiny burr on the spool itself, filing down the burr with an emery board solved that problem. With thread breaking the problem is either your thread or needle, or needing to adjust the needle tension.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:00 AM

I had some of the same frustrating problems and took advice from my friends here on the board. Turns out it was my top tension that was off. Fixed that by adjusting a little at a time until it was perfect! Also, I had been told by the sales person who sold my machine, FMQ should be done with the machine at the highest speed and hands slow! That does NOT work for me! I set my machine at medium speed and I feel very comforatble and in control. The main thing to remember, it takes practice ... lots of it! Be sure you are practicing on the same fabric sandwich as your quilt. Just finished FMQing a king size "Warm Wishes" for a wedding gift. LOVE LOVE LOVE FMQing now!
Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 AM

what about your tension and your feed dogs. I had problems & I was sewing tshirt quilt & forgot to put in a ball point needle & that was my problem. I also had to play with the tension will post picture later .
Old 09-26-2011, 06:05 AM

I too doubt it's the spray basting.....But I've had this happen and realized that the thread was catching in the slot of the spool. I took the thread off and turned it around, rethreaded the machine and no more problems. Worth trying anyway.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 AM

Try a top stitching needle it has a larger eye and doesn't shred the thread going through the eye.

Suzy