Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm a believer! >

I'm a believer!

I'm a believer!

Old 04-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

Here is a tute that one of the members posted. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...d-t217470.html
Old 04-01-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ View Post
For months, I've read posts from people raving about using Elmer's Washable School Glue for quilting. I use Elmer's school glue for various craft projects but never thought it would work for quilting. Seriously...glue?? Well, today I gave it a try, not once but twice and it absolutely works! No more using pins and poking myself when binding, and no more buying fusible web for applique. Just a little bit of glue does the trick. I'm a believer and can't be more excited!
applique! 'never thought of that - ahhh no more fusible web sounds good to me!
Old 04-01-2013, 04:44 AM

Default Elmer's Glue tips

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
applique! 'never thought of that - ahhh no more fusible web sounds good to me!
Does anyone know where she gets the fine tip for the glue she is using in the video?
Old 04-01-2013, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Never tried it - I think I'll ask at the guild to see if anyone there has tried it. Don't understand how to do it and am probably afraid of the long-term consequences. (if any)
It's just starch and washes out totally as long as you use the WASHABLE school glue. See Jan in VA post in Main today.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 AM

I tried it yesterday on the binding, and haven't sewn it, but it is laying perfect, and should be a breeze to sew. I didn't have the tip that would make it thinner, but I think it was thin enough.. Now what do I do with all the cans of spray baste I bought? Ughhhh
Old 04-01-2013, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

I used glue on the first quilt I ever made back in the 80's. I couldn't baste without puckers so I glued the batting down. LOL. I put a thin line of glue in every other seam. I didn't use Elmers but a washable glue sold at Hancock's Fabric and I hand quilted the thing, just stayed away from the seams. I believe in using anything that will do the job with the results you want.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:28 AM

For binding I prefer the little red clips. This way I can see the sewing line to follow. With glue you cant see your sewing line.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by drivingmsginger View Post
Does anyone know where she gets the fine tip for the glue she is using in the video?
www.purpledaisiesllc.com is a site that has fine glue tips for the Elmers School Glue bottles. They are out of stock right now, but when everyone starts ordering them, I'm sure they will get their act together and get some more. Look for "Liquid Stitch", and near there is the picture of 2 plastic tips for $6.95. (Liquid Stitch is not washable school glue. It is permanent.)
I purchased a bottle of Roxanne's Baste-It. Very expensive, but comes with the very fine metal tips. I'll just put Elmer's into it when it is empty. I dilute my glue to at least 50:50. Comes out of the bottle so much easier, is a lot easier on arthritic hands, and WORKS!
You don't need a lot: a few drops, lines, squiggles or such 3 or 4 inches apart will do the job.

Last edited by maviskw; 04-01-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:51 AM

Alien- OMG that was the BEST toot I've seen yet! I'm having a HORRIBLE...HORRENDOUS ("terrible, awful, no good, very bad...") time with binding, and this was a nice one! I'm obviously doing it wrong, and Sharon's video was amazing! (And I didn't even have the sound on because I'm at work!) I will be watching it again and again until I can do her method. WOW...such a successful binding! (Yes, as a matter of fact, I AM that excited, and I DO have to end every sentence with an exclamation point.)
Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by barri1 View Post
I tried it yesterday on the binding, and haven't sewn it, but it is laying perfect, and should be a breeze to sew. I didn't have the tip that would make it thinner, but I think it was thin enough.. Now what do I do with all the cans of spray baste I bought? Ughhhh
Lol send the spray baste to me! All my glue is used by my kids before it ever gets to the quilting table!