Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm in the doldrums! >

I'm in the doldrums!

I'm in the doldrums!

Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 PM

You're not alone & I think the weather has a lot to do with it, at least for me, snow , snow & more snow. Need sunshine & warm weather.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:29 PM

I understand how your feel when its dreary and rainy. The doldrums have a tendency to creep up on me as well. I am truly a solar-powered woman and have not enthusiasm, energy or desire to move when it's been gray for too long! We just had a few sunny days after 8 days of rain and I was able to pull out some fabric and begin a new project. HooRay!!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 PM

Hi I'm from So CA too and it rains rains and rains lately. Also, I think the downs have something to do with running out of cookies and candies to eat. I never can have that in the house but during the holidays, there is a lot of that to eat. So after hi-sugar intake, there is a let-down. We seem to be sleeping a lot later too. Maybe we are just getting older and tirder.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Jump on board and do the NYE mystery quilt project. If you need the link, let me know and I'll send it. Only 4 fabrics and lots of good sewing. Absolutely loved last years project and am looking forward to this years. Maybe that will pull me out of the doldrums or I feel sorry for myself time.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Dee

Feel the same let down.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Had the same feeling today after all the family left. I was watching TV in my sewing room and thought,"If I'm sitting, I should be doing something." But my sewing room was so clean and so straight (prepared for company) I just couldn't bring myself to make a mess so I started making yo-yo's for someone on this Bd who has requested them. at least my fingers were busy...I gave my machine a much-needed rest. One things for sure, quilters don't stay idle long.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by earthwalker
Would really appreciate some rain, so send some of yours if you can! I'm suffering from "bucket back" trying to keep my plants alive.
Wish I could. We were in the same position earlier this year. We were in WA last April/May and it was sad to see it so dry, though it did pour down in Fremantle one morning.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by clem55
I seem to go through this most every year after Christmas. I think we just plan so much, and are doing so much that the days fly by, and then , wham! it is over and done and we have to stop and reconnect with everyday things. Give our minds time to adjust. LOL
This expresses very well exactly what I have been thinking. I am involved in 3 or 4 new projects (2 quilting, 1 sewing, and one organizational), but I don't feel any pressure to get anything done immediately like I have the last 4 months. It's actually kind of nice!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
Does anyone else feel like this after Christmas? I have oodles of ideas and projects and new patterns and .. and ... Every year I get like this, just can't settle to anything. Is it because I have time on my hands, the only spare time in the year, or just the letdown after a busy end of year and celebrations. To really produce I need to be pushed to the limit and time poor. Another good reason could be that we have had continual rain for well over a week and much of Queensland and northern NSW is flooded. You might think that is a good time to get organised, but I get out patterns, sort my stash, scan through my craft magazines, print off projects found by Crafty Bear, decide I am going to finish that Christmas present that has now turned into a birthday present, prepare the backing for a quilt finished 6 months ago and so it goes on. Don't give me motivational hints! I have already given myself a good talking to! But I would like to know I'm not the only one - please!
You are not the only one - I refer to it as my annual Christmas depression - this year it came after the day --- usually it comes before. Relax, brew a cup of tea and everything will be OK in a day or so.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:05 PM

you are definitely not the only one! Believe me! I've taken on a project that makes me think I've bitten off more than I can chew. It's a fan quilt for each of the twin beds in my guest room, and it involves A LOT of applique! Now, I like applique, but I'll be appliqueing until I'm in my 90's! (I'm gonna be 70 in a couple of weeks). I think that's why I'm at a standstill. Take heart - this too shall pass.

Happy New Yeaar!!

quiltin' nana