Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm freezing, he's sweating. >

I'm freezing, he's sweating.

I'm freezing, he's sweating.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM

I have read some of the replies and they are all good ones. We do have a heated mattress pad, which works well. However, I think you could easily do what you are thinking about. You might double up on the batting (I would use the fluffy polyester) sew a line of stitching down the middle so that one side is just two layers of fabric and then "tie" the puffy side. I love all of the "puffy" comforters that I made years ago with two sheets and tying it with yard. They are light and easy to launder. Go for it. Maybe it will be the beginning of something big as there are many of us who have the same issues. Remember "Necessity is the mother of invention". Let us know what you do.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:50 PM

We just keep an extra little blanket on the bed. I like my own so he never rolls away with it.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM

We do the same blanket on both sides, then use small quilts as we need them on either side. Just fold them neatly and put at the end of the bed or in the storage bench at the foot. We're both happy.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by quilt crazee
make a "bed topper" those narrow quilts that just go accross the end of the bed--put on your side at night. even if you made a quilt like you're thinking--I doubt you would LIKE how the bed looked made. If you got into different batts, you might even have a bad problem on how it looked after the shrank atdifferent %'s!
That is what we use on my husband side of the bed. During the day it is placed across the bed on the bottom. Works well.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I BOUGHT AN ELECTRIC BLANKET. IT WORKS GREAT UNLESS HE ACCIDENTLY GETS MY CONTROL!!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:09 PM

I had this problem for years with the addition of my husband stealing blankets in the night, which of course he couldn't help in his sleep. He didn't like sleeping with anything electric in the bed either so my solution was to use two single duvet's during winter with a large quilt over top that covers us both. I use the duvet covers as sheets and turn them over to use other side and wash regularly. It's like having a cacoon. It is great in middle of winter and I switch back to sheets and blankets with quilts on top in warmer months. Not for everyone but awesome for us.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:10 PM

God bless you for bringing this up, my husband and I sleep alone as he snores so much, it has been that way for years and I am always cold, daylight, midday and nightime, and have finally have my own electric blanket to keep me warm at night, now I wish there was a solution to keeping warm during the daylight hours, I loved hot flashes, and wish I had them more often now..but due to age they are so much more frequent then before. This mattress thing is to be explored whee the heat comes from the bottom...how I love you women who are cold all the time...I think God messed up on this one giving men the warm side of life. Ha.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 PM

God bless you for bringing this up, my husband and I sleep alone as he snores so much, it has been that way for years and I am always cold, daylight, midday and nightime, and have finally have my own electric blanket to keep me warm at night, now I wish there was a solution to keeping warm during the daylight hours, I loved hot flashes, and wish I had them more often now..but due to age they are so much more infrequent then before. This mattress thing is to be explored where the heat comes from the bottom...how I love you women who are cold all the time...I think God messed up on this one giving men the warm side of life. Ha.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:14 PM
Google Goddess

go to JC Penney and buy yourself a dual control heating mattress pad, it is wonderful, we have 1 and I have my side on high and his only on 1

Craftybear

Originally Posted by hannajo
Since I'm always cold and DH is always hot, I always need an extra blanket or two than him at night. It's slightly awkward at night, and is a pain when it comes to bed-making. I was wondering, has anyone ever made a queen or king size quilt with thicker batting on one side than the other? I suppose that if it's quilted properly it could work, but often things done in practice are much different than the work done in my mind. I'm interested in hearing the results of anyone who's tried this.

In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they aren't.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 PM

I would have a hard time living without my heated mattress pad. I turn it on early in evening and turn it down to 1 when I go to bed. Wonderful for cold feet.