Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt! >

I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt!

I'm getting a barn quilt! I'm getting a barn quilt!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:33 AM

I'm still trying to get enough nerve to put one on my garage, I live in the burbs, behind the local high school. Have no idea what the neighbors would think.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
We have no barn....but there's a big blank wall of our house that could fit about 4. I am not holding my breath....we have been here for about 14 years and still haven't finished renovating.
Dont' feel bad...I've been here 30, and we're still renovating, too.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
The only barn quilts I have seen are painted on the side of barns. Is this the same thing as you are getting? Sorry to sound so ignorant. I am a country girl now, but was raised in Brooklyn, NY so I guess you can't always take the city out of the girl! Love the way barns look with their painted quilts. Congrats on yours. Please post pix.
You have the basic idea. Most in my area are done on wood or similar material and then hung on the barn. I think it's funny to call them barn quilts, when they are really just one quilt block, but I guess it's easier to say "barn quilt." For my non-quilting friends, I'm calling it my quilt sign.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM

In response to Grammyj's Carpenter's Star on her quilting shop:
Very nice! It'll be nice to change it to the other side whenever you want. I won't have that option.

Last edited by jdavis; 06-12-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: reference to another response.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by KGoodhand View Post
My MIL just sent me a pic of her new barn quilt!! I think it is funny because this is the only 'quilty'thing she will make because she says a needle and thread scare her!
Keep your fingers crossed that I can post the pic now!!
Good for her! I have to tell you, when I get mine hung, We'll have a similar situation to your MIL's....We have a camper parked on one side all summer, and my husband just built and installed an arbor/bench in the middle of the yard (incorporated with some new landscaping). Anyone wanting to see the barn quilt will have to slow down or stop completely, in order to see it without some obstruction! But from my kitchen window I'll have a clear view.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by LadyElisabeth View Post
I'm still trying to get enough nerve to put one on my garage, I live in the burbs, behind the local high school. Have no idea what the neighbors would think.
Go ahead and put one up on your garage. It's your home and you should be able to decorate it as you wish. I would venture to say they would enjoy seeing it. And it would be a good conversation starter for neighbors you don't know well. Who knows, you might meet some quilting neighbors you didn't know you have.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by MarthaT View Post
So happy you get to brighten the world with a barn quilt. I love seeing them. My husband built a custom cabinet shop on our property and just got the siding on the outside of it. There is the perfect spot for a barn quilt on the end facing the driveway. He agrees a barn quilt would be a nice touch for that space. I thought we'd do a Carpenter's Wheel since it's a cabinet shop. Notice my avitar...we have a variation of a Carpenter's Wheel on our bed. Got a theme going here!
As I said in an earlier post, the building is my DH's wood shop. Carpenter's Wheel would be so appropriate. I am partial to eight pointed star blocks, hence my decision. When I asked my DH for color input, he declined. Says he has absolutely no preference. So I don't think he'd care about the block itself (but I'll have to ask, now that you mention it). As for colors, I like all kinds of color, but don't want to scare my neighbors.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pam Riggs View Post
Hey A1penny: why not do a small one and hang it on your apartment door?
I second that!
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 AM

Congratulations!! I love looking at and for the barn quilts.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 PM

I want to see! I want to see! I want to see!!!! please