Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm going to Japan!  Tips on Fabrics, Stores, Tourist/Fabric Destinations? >
  • I'm going to Japan! Tips on Fabrics, Stores, Tourist/Fabric Destinations?

• I'm going to Japan! Tips on Fabrics, Stores, Tourist/Fabric Destinations?

Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM

Default Japan

Originally Posted by tropit
    I'm going to Japan next spring and would love to find some great fabrics for quilting, or otherwise. I'll definitely be in Tokyo and Kyoto, but also plan to visit other parts of the country, yet to be determined. Any suggestions of stores, factories, etc. that I should visit?

Thanks,
    ~ C

Ditto goes for Spain. I'm going there in a couple of weeks.
    Start saving money Now. Take as much money as you can for material.
    You will be hitting a lot of fabric stores.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-09-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: shouting
    Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 AM

We lived in Japan a number of years and our favorite store was blueandwhitetokyo.com. Designers name is Amy Katoh. I bought a lot of indigo dyed (deep deep blue) in a lot of traditional patterns. Most of them are only 18" wide but that didn't cause any issues. I've already made several quilts but I must admit I hold them close to the vest. I can post pictures if you are interested.
    Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by psquared52
    We lived in Japan a number of years and our favorite store was blueandwhitetokyo.com. Designers name is Amy Katoh. I bought a lot of indigo dyed (deep deep blue) in a lot of traditional patterns. Most of them are only 18" wide but that didn't cause any issues. I've already made several quilts but I must admit I hold them close to the vest. I can post pictures if you are interested.
    Thanks, that's very nice of you. You don't have to post pix if you don't want to. I know that posting can be a pain. I would love to see them though. What are some things to look for in Japanese quilting fabrics?

~ C
    Old 11-08-2017, 02:02 PM

Kaufman's or Hoffmans(can't ever keep them straight) asian fabrics are made in Japan. I wonder are they sold in Japan or are they made strictly for export. Hummm, inquiring minds....
    Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    They had a special exhibit of her work at Houston this year.
    I saw the exhibit, plus Danny Amazonas' exhibit as well! It was a stellar show this year! <3

When is the next quilt show in Tokyo? I'll be there in March.
    The end of January.

Originally Posted by Jaiade
    Kaufman's or Hoffmans(can't ever keep them straight) asian fabrics are made in Japan. I wonder are they sold in Japan or are they made strictly for export.
    Lecien fabrics are made in Japan....
    Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 AM

I researched Nippori Textile Town and Tomato, which led me to other sites and suggestions. OMG! There are a LOT of fabric stores in Japan! How nice. The number of fabric stores in the US seems to be dwindling. I'm glad to see that sewing is still a popular pastime there.

All of this talk about Japanese fabric stores reminds me of when I was a senior in high school. I had to take an elective to graduate, so I chose Sewing, even though I already knew how to sew. (Or so I thought.) My teacher was a lovely Japanese woman, who taught me so much more than I ever knew before about putting together a garment. I aquired many skills from her that I still use today.

Anyway...I still have lots of time to plan my trip and make room for more fabric store visits, so I'm keeping my eyes open for other textile experiences there. Thanks for all of the tips from everyone.

~C
    Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM

LOL! I know what you mean. Now that the kids and the cats are gone we only have to plan around the ponies and chickens. We love to go in the spring but can't on the years we get a new flock. Still, I love my critters more than traveling and if push came to shove I'd choose the ponies over travel.

Thank you...I know...I shouldn't brag. I've waited a long time to do some extensive traveling. Kids, husband, house, work, dogs, horses even chickens always came first. Now it's time to go see the world! I'll definitely post pix!

~ C
    Old 11-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
    I'm a HUUUGE Yoko Saito fan, so I'd be researching her to see where her store is, or her products are sold, and if I could get into one of her classes.

This is actually kind of funny, because my husband and I were just talking about quilt shows. I've been to Paducah and Houston, and told him I'd really like to go to the Tokyo Quilt Festival someday. He said he'd like to go to Tokyo too; he'll stay busy eating sushi while I'm at the show.
    her fabric is produced by Lecien...in Japan.. It is available in the United States. Centenary is one series of her designs. Probably best to google for shops who stock it. I know one of the Lecien Company reps...I can ask her for shop info in Japan. Yoko Saito was at Quilt Market in Houston. Not sure if she was at Quilt Festival.

sandy
    Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Don't know where this collection is in relation to where you will be, but if I were traveling to Japan, I would do all I could to see The Itchiku Kubobota Art Museum. The amazing kimono collection "Symphony of Light" is textile beauty you will never forget.
    Old 11-13-2017, 11:53 AM

The Itchiku Kubobota Art Museum is definitely on my list...thanks!

~ C