Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!! >

I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!!

I'm having buyer's remorse...... help me!!!

Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 PM

I recently took a class at my LQS so I could rent time on their machine. I spent about 3 hours there and the procedure was not all that difficult. Of course, my quilting was still pretty bad, but everyone says that takes practice. You will do fine. Calm down and don't be too hard on yourself.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:08 PM

Congratulations on the new machine. I have a very pre-owned 1996 Nolting 24" that I bought from a friend of mine. It is a workhorse! I had exactly the same feelings. The thing scared me to death. I bought several pantographs at the IQF in Houston 2011. I didn't buy any that had really small details, knowing that with my level of experience, I would be in big trouble. I am not artistic, but am finding this easier than I thought it would be. A good friend of mine made a statement to me that has helped me a lot..... "Don't worry about the quilting, when you wash it, it will wrinkle up & look beautiful." She was oh so right. Have fun with your new machine.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:42 PM

If it's purple, it's a girl
Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 PM

Now can join the rest of us.

What I learned:
- it is a 'normal' feeling and was OK to have it ... as long as I could afford it in the first place.
- allow yourself at least 100 hours of quilting before you see the difference. Lengthen that amount of time if you only get to work at it sporadically.
- learn to let yourself have as much of a learning curve as you feel you need and be less critical of yourself.
- find someone locally or via phone who can help you if you have any questions.
- ask for as much support as you can ... you'd be surprised how much more you will receive if you ask for it.
- you may even have a LA group locally you can attend. They can really help you learn and encourage you to 'stretch your wings.' Check with you state quilters association and LQS's that have LA's, as they sometimes host groups.

Have fun.

ali
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I haven't named her yet because I haven't seen her yet. But, don't worry. She'll have a name. I'll know it when I meet her. Golly, I said her didn't I? Geezzz what if they send me a guy? Do they even make male machines?
If it was a male machine it probably wouldn't work when you wanted it to, it would spill oil on the floor and your quilts, etc......Just kidding guys!
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Jim

Congrats ...its been a long time coming. Happy for you...It's the waiting time thats causing you all the stress..once you get it you will be so excited to jump in and start learning your new purple baby....(HEY! Barney is purple and a male...doesnt seem to have any problems holding a job...LOL...sorry just had too) We had reservations about ours between the time we wrote the check and the time it was delivered...after that it has all been great. Congrats again you will love it....sounds like a Barney to me...LOL
Old 07-18-2012, 09:12 PM

I don't think its buyers remorse, i think you are just scared and it will go away with practice.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:03 PM

I have had my Gammill for a year now, I have spent about 25 hours using it (I had a broken arm for the first six months I owned it and really couldn't use it much). I get better every day - the biggest problem I am having is tension - if I go too fast in the curves my thread doesn't lie flat on the back side - still haven't figured this out. I have been doing quite a few quilts for charity and the group I have been doing them for keeps giving them to me and they have been happy with the job I have been doing. I really believe I am more critical of the project than they are. I am working on one now that is giving me fits -

I also find it difficult to decide what to quilt on them. I had never done any of my own quilts - always sent them out for quilting so I didn't even know how to meander - getting much better at that. I have some pantographs and have tried some of them but am not sure I like them as much as I like doing freehand.

I just bought a set of "Red Snappers" and am anxious to try them out. I have to finish the quilt that is currently onthe machine before I can try them. I am thinking about taking them to the coast with me when I go so a friend there can try them too. They came highly recommended - they will replace the need to pin the quilts onto the leaders on the machine - this is the part I really dread doing since I hate getting stuck by the straight pins - lol

I am looking forward to going to the Longarm Convention in Portland, OR in October - will try to take a few classes - thinking about trying to set up a small business with it - not sure though, may just like to stay personal and do for myself, friends and charity.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:16 AM

It happened to me when I bought my Bernina 820 but I kept thinking "If not now, when." I'm so glad I bought it and have never looked back!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
I have an HQ16 that I bought 3 years ago. I still have buyers regret until I take something off of it I like. Then I am happy. OR, when my kids come home to use it. That makes me happy.

I have to say this is nothing like buying a car. I never have buyer's regret about cars. Not even the "toy" I bought last year.
Oh, I always feel this way after a large purchase. But, I paid more for this machine than I did my new truck!!! Yikes!!!