Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm a little sad >

I'm a little sad

I'm a little sad

Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

A lot of time-consuming things are under-appreciated.

In my opinion, housework, cleaning, cooking, and child-care are among some of those activities.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:09 PM

There's time, if I'm not working on a quilt, or hand quilting, I would loose it. I have people say to me, how can you do what you do. I tell them I enjoy, and happy to make quilts, for family, friends, grdkids. I tell anyone, come to my house, and I'll show the happiness, I get out of quilting.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by mighty View Post
Yes is is sad but loving to do it makes it all worth while!
Not only that, I tell my husband it's cheaper than mental health therapy and it keeps me outta the bars! Haha.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM

I agree with all the good thoughts here. I know there are some who are not interested in what I do, but the other side of it is that many people who come to my house are in awe of quilting. People who don't do it consider it almost magical - "I could never do that!" is what I often hear. I know they probably could if they just tried, but not everyone has the patience to stick with it. I am proud of my work, but I also know I am not a prize winner. As I was working on my current project today, quilting away with a borrowed Sweet Sixteen, I was aware my lines were not perfect, my points not all precise. But I am having so much fun with it. I stopped and pulled out a bunch of quilting because it was really off, but I know we will love having this on our bed. I'm going to put it into a local quilt show fully knowing it is not a prize contender, but still wanting to share my artistry. Feel sad? Not a bit. It is the joy of the process and satisfaction in my own work. I know I have improved a lot and have far to go. Perfection is impossible, so just enjoy the journey!
Old 04-11-2013, 05:15 PM

I quilt for my own enjoyment. For those who like it, great. For those who don't, sorry. There are many hobbies that different people enjoy and to each their own.

I know this summer when my family and I are sitting on one of the quilts I made under a tree or at the beach, we will be enjoying it.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM

I like what I like and do not worry what others have to say about what I do. The one thing that does bother me is the lack of respect of others not appreciating the time and effort that goes into sewing something together. I would really have to care a great deal for someone to say to me to whip a quilt up for them and for me to agree with doing it. Not going to happen, with my own kids that is different, I will for them. And that is it. Call me miserable, I do it because I like it.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM
Power Poster

Most works of art (including quilting) are difficult to re coup the time involved in them. However if you were to go to Amish country in Pennsylvania, and see the $$ prices on them, they are not cheap. 15 years ago, there were several prices over $1,000. And, well worth it.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Banned

We are always our worst critics
Old 04-12-2013, 04:10 AM

I always remember, I enjoyed making the quilt because I love quilting. I know the person will someday, will love and appreciate what I did for them, and understand how much the quilt is really worth. I also love when someone whats a quilt but do not know how to make it, and ask to learn how to make it. That is my biggest joy and reward.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:16 AM

While I agree that there are those who do not appreciate our efforts in this art form we all love, the appreciation is not the motivation for doing it.

I discovered years ago that hand crafted items (be it quilted or painted or embroidered or whatever other) are appreciated by some but not all and rarely sell for an appropriate $ amount in relation to time spent.

Has that stopped me from doing the creative projects that I love? Not at all! I just don't do them to sell, I do them for my own satisfaction.

And when I donate items to be raffled or auctioned I don't ask how much my item sold for, only how much was raised total. And I only send small items as I've seen that often they raise more proportionally than something big.