Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • I'm a little sad >
  • I'm a little sad

• I'm a little sad

Old 04-12-2013, 08:48 AM

I just love this board! I love to read all the uplifting messages. I don't have a lot of time to sew, but I love it. I also Paint, but I never paint for anyone. If I have painted something someone likes, okay. Painting is like making quilts. sometimes I like them and sometimes I don't. But it's my talent, and it's what I do that makes me happy.
    Old 04-12-2013, 09:55 AM

It makes me happy. That is pay enough.
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM

the joy in making anything from your own creativeness is a gift to be rejoiced over. Not everyone is given that gift. It is wonderful when people honor us and understand its monetary value, but it is more ordinary that they don't, and not that they do. Hang in there, and hope what I said made sense.
    Old 04-12-2013, 12:51 PM

this thing I currently do brings me joy, and I hope it brings joy and comfort to the kids that receive them.

www.dollsforverysickkids.com

Vickey S.
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 PM

It's something I do because I enjoy it. The only part that makes me sad is a lack of funds and time to do every quilt pattern I see.
    Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM

My immediate family consider what I do to be "art", which is a heady endorsement. I consider what I do to be an entertaining and practical hobby, and I am certainly happy to sell what I make to pay for my fabric habit. I gave up expecting people not involved in the process to have any real understanding of the time a quilt takes (conception to label) and decided that as long as I enjoy the process, and can cover my expenses, I will not worry about getting a true living wage.

I have to say that being on this Board, and interacting with fellow quilters, goes a long way toward satisfying the appreciation itch - y'all know how to make a quilter feel valued!

Alison
    Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by petthefabric
    One thing that bothers me is, when doing "show and tell" women almost always TELL the flaws. Be proud of your work and don't degrade yourself.
    Showing a quilt is for "Quilt Shows". At club meeting we have show and TELL. I think of these meetings as a learning experience. If others tell me what gave them trouble in the quilt, what went wrong, what fun they had doing it, and what was a real pain, I learn. And when I show them my quilt, I tell them all about it, so that they can learn from my mistakes (If they don't pay attention, they can go ahead and learn from their own mistakes LOL).
    And the quilting, knitting, painting, etc. process is not a job for most. It's fun! It's a hobby! Some make money on it, but most of us just have a lot of fun and get a lot of pleasure out of giving our creations to loved ones. That's reward enough for me.
    Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM

It's like trying to tell someone who has never had a baby what it is like to give birth! No one can truly appreciate the time and skill and effort that goes into quilting unless they do it themselves - then they can relate. I don't feel sad; I just love to see their faces light up when I make something they enjoy.
    Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 AM

I agree with everyone, don't be sad...although I do understand that whole being critical of our own work. I go thru periods during each quilt when I question my skills, but the end product always makes me happy!

I do it because I LOVE it and any quilt that is gifted can be returned to me, no hard feelings, if its not to their liking! I do take special consideration of their tastes when I make one for someone special and I haven't gone wrong yet, I don't think. What's not to like about cuddling up in a quilt?
    Old 04-13-2013, 08:06 AM

It may be sad that others don't appreciate all the hard work ,time and money in what we do...but quilting makes my heart smile . Now to me that is worth it!!