Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm looking for a good mini-iron.  Does anyone have this or can recommend one? >

I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

I'm looking for a good mini-iron. Does anyone have this or can recommend one?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:53 AM

This is the one I have and use. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...icks&refType=1
Old 10-20-2014, 08:10 AM

I looked and looked and finally decided on a travel iron. They are the same size as the mini-iron. Pretty sure I got it at Wal-Mart. Love it; nice and light, and does a good job.
Mariah
Old 10-20-2014, 08:12 AM

I have the home and away steam iron from Nancys notions and I love it! I also have a mini clover iron for applique but I seldom use it
Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I know I'm going off the mini iron, but I am so disappointed in my $200. Oliso Pro Iron......it leaks and spits. I bought it at Joann's and now I can't for the life of me find the receipt. They will take it back and give me half of what I paid. I can't send it to the manufacture people without the receipt. Boy what a lesson to learn. And.....I almost never throw receipts away. Darn. What is the best stem iron you girls and guys use? I just might have to splurge for another one.
i have the cheapest iron Walmart sells, and it works great. The best thing is that they have done away with the auto-shutoff! My last iron drove me crazy always having to wait for it to warm back up. I figure if I get a year out of a cheap iron I have gotten my money's worth, but everyone I have bought has lasted me many years, the one with auto-shutoff lasted me 15 years and it was a cheap one from Walmart also. As long as my iron gets hot, holds water, and doesn't burn my fabric, it is a good iron. I never really understood spending so much for a fancy iron, (unless of course it came with a person to do the ironing for me) so I just buy inexpensive.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 AM

My little Clover Mini doesn't get hot enough or it doesn't have enough heft... to press seams flat. I don't have a lot of arm strength to apply.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by pokeygirl View Post
I know I'm going off the mini iron, but I am so disappointed in my $200. Oliso Pro Iron......it leaks and spits. I bought it at Joann's and now I can't for the life of me find the receipt. They will take it back and give me half of what I paid. I can't send it to the manufacture people without the receipt. Boy what a lesson to learn. And.....I almost never throw receipts away. Darn. What is the best stem iron you girls and guys use? I just might have to splurge for another one.
So far the best iron I have is the Reliable. I got them through All Brands.com for a third of the $. The orange on is for quilting, it has an override for the auto off. I use the heavier, blue one for my cloths. I love them. Never never never, spit, clog or spray. I am thinking I will have them for lifetime. May be an expense in the beginning, but will last almost forever by today's standards. I am ahead of the game already.
peace
Old 10-21-2014, 05:29 AM

I bought a Dritz Petite Press and am very disappointed with it. It says it has 4 heat settings and it does, but it never got hot enough to even press seams. I see some other folks have one and love it so maybe I just got a lemon.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 AM

I would take it back and get another one. I agree, I think you got a lemon.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Default small clover iron

I have a small Clover iron, not nearly as small as the mini one you use for applique but not as big as the Rowenta travel iron. I have tried and tried to find a picture of it with no luck so apparently they don't sell it anymore, maybe ebay, didn't check there. I love it, has a detachable handle and does have steam but you have to add the water thing to the front of it so don't use that as the steam went straight out the front and not down onto your fabric. It does a great job though with it just at dry, I take it with me to our quilt group or retreat. It comes with a handly little zippered vinyl bag. Wish they still made them as many people ask me about it. I'm pretty sure I got it at Jo-Anne's but quite a few years ago.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:48 PM

I have a Rowenta Travel Iron and love it for applique and taking to classes.