Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore?? >

I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore??

I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge...am I really not a beginner anymore??

Old 10-24-2013, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Karen G View Post
Doesn't this end up with bias edges to the HST?
Yes, but I work with bias edges on other things too and maybe I'm just too clueless to know any better, but I don't really have a problem. I don't pull on my pieces and stretch them a lot, but then I don't do that on any piecing whether it's on the bias or not. I think that's where the importance of accurate cutting and seam allowance counts. This is a real time saving method and my pieces all fit together well. It's efficient and works well for me.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Use whatever you are comefortable with.Also something you could do ,when you make your stitch and flip method,after you have sewn diagonaly across the background square[befor you trim the excess]sew them again 3/8-1/2 in from the first line[towards the scrap square]then when you trim the scrap square you will already have another 1/2 square triangle sewn for another project.Instead of an odd size triangle that doesn't seem to get used anytime soon.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:23 AM

I found the thread that lists the various sizes of FG pieces. http://blog.shopmartingale.com/quilt...-flying-geese/
It was in the October 21st Quilting Board Newsletter.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by sherryl1 View Post
Use whatever you are comefortable with.Also something you could do ,when you make your stitch and flip method,after you have sewn diagonaly across the background square[befor you trim the excess]sew them again 3/8-1/2 in from the first line[towards the scrap square]then when you trim the scrap square you will already have another 1/2 square triangle sewn for another project.Instead of an odd size triangle that doesn't seem to get used anytime soon.
I already do that. I have a TON of HST squares already made, just not pressed yet of various sizes. I don't like having triangles hanging loose in my bins. It promotes wonkiness. I don't press them until I'm getting ready to use them either.

This was all great information! Thank's for the link too cause that was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Ladies before you lump Bonnie Hunter and her wonderful website www.quiltville.com in with other companies and marketing that "push" rulers please go visit her site. She offers lots of free patterns, tips and techniques. The companion angle and easy angle aren't her rulers they are just ones she prefers to use.

Every Nov/Dec she offers a mystery pattern that will later be included in an upcoming book. This year's http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2013/...ng-celtic.html

and from that blog post

"As with previous mysteries I will be giving directions for use with the Easy Angle Ruler –and one set of rulers we have not used in a mystery before…Tri Recs! If you have Tri Recs, you’ll be able to use them in this mystery. If you do not, you can either find them – or I will provide a pdf template for you to print and use. Traditional rotary cutting measurements will be given if you do not have access to an Easy Angle Ruler. It is your job to do what ever you have to do to get the units to measure the size given. Seam allowance will be very important in this process"
Old 10-24-2013, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

If you take a different route to a destination, but wind up at the same place, do what you feel comfortable with. There are many different ways to do things, so do what is comfortable for you. End result: Same quilt, different piecing is all.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Letty View Post
Hi Mckwilter, your comment said it all, you bought the wing clipper but haven't used it yet ! You have still produced a super pattern, well done x
I actually haven't made a quilt with FGs since I purchased the wing clipper. The class was actually a mystery quilt, and the cutting instructions had us cutting out rectangles and squares, so I used jelly rolls. The pattern actually had almost 200 FGs in it, and the teacher didn't talk about the wing clipper until after we were well into the pattern.