Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm scared of binding >

I'm scared of binding

I'm scared of binding

Old 05-11-2011, 08:28 AM

The best tutorial I have EVER seen is the binding in 5 easy steps tutorial on this site. I've tried Sharons and various youtube tutorials and I simply cannot get it right.

I tried this tute 5 or 6 quilts ago. I loved it so much, my binding is so precise, that I pull up the tute each and every time I'm binding something. I've used it on all sizes from lap/toddler size to queen. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:42 AM

Practice on a few potholders. This really helped me get the process down. I'm not afraid anymore. Congratulations on tackling a king size quilt. I'm afraid to do that!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 AM

My suggestions are to use a walking foot to sew the binding on. I do not press the folded binding first because when I stitch it on the back the top side needs a little extra fabric than the sewn side (hope this makes sense) For the mitered corners ==sew to 1/4 inch of the end,sew backwards off the binding, then fold the binding up and then fold it back to the new side and start sewing down that side. Just a few times and you will be an expert.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

I never have had to glue binding, used to not be confident just practice. Now think large quilts easier to bind than small, it really is not hard.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 AM

You can do it!! Just take your time, have someone hold part of the quilt while you sew on the binding if you need to. Sometimes those big ones can weigh alot and they can pull on your quilt while sewing. (Does that make sense?)
Old 05-11-2011, 01:09 PM

I can so relate, I hate binding and I always mess up.
I found a local Quilt shop and a great group of ladies who are going to help me next time.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Oh I am so sorry,......I love binding....I would do it for you if you were nearby....
Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM

I know what you mean about being scared of the binding! My quilting friends laugh at me because I say I break out in a cold sweat when I think about binding. So one of the gals in my quilting guild patiently helped me. The last thing I put binding on came out great - (Thanks, Betty for your help!) Is there someone near you that can get you started and be moral support for you? It really helps! Have courage, you really have already completed the hardest part of the quilt. You can do it!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by Jerudy
Can someone list the link to Sharon's binding video?

Thanks
this is for part one..there are 3 parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc
Whenever I have linked to her video, I am unable to get any sound. Maybe someone on this board can tell me what I am/am not doing right. Thank you
Old 05-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I have finished my first quilt...a king size...handquilted. Now it's time for the binding which I'm scared to start. It's just so big, and I did make a wallhanging that was 25 x 25 and I messed up the binding on that. My corners weren't pretty, it was kinda warped and there was even a 2 inch spot that the machine didn't catch, and I had to re-do that. So I have been putting off starting the binding for over a week. I kinda wish I had left enough backing to bring to the front.
I don't like to do mitered binding, so about 3 months ago I decided to do it this way. I put a glass against the edge of the quilt. Draw a line and trim off the fabric around the corner. I then put on the binding the regular way, but instead of mitered corners, I have gently curved corners. Always looks good. See picture below.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195992.jpe