Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm in Shock!!

Blog Entries
    Prices here are 9.96-10.95 a yard. I have been buying more and more fat qtrs when they are on sale for 1.00 - thankfully we live in a no tax state

LG That's how I started out in 1973. Who knew?

LOL - been up there for at least a year in my area! Thank God I have twenty years of wall insulation....er....stash!

Quote Originally Posted by heather1949
    Yep and in Victoria, Australia as well some are dearer than that..and have you tried to buy perle crotchet cotton in balls..I use it for stitcheries I get it from America half the price even with postage added on.
    I agree with that $18 to $30 per metre. To get things from America online are most often much cheaper than purchasing them here, sometimes even when they,re Aussie made!!!!

Most of our fabric is now made in China. My friend is a sales rep. and she was saying the quality is no way near what US use to make. Also, they include the salvage in the width measurement and some salvage is more than 1/2". Now I buy a little more then required by the pattern to cover this.

Fabric- yes it keeps going up.
    I'm done buying (I think)

Really? $12.99 a yard? Seems like $9 or $9.50 is the normal price range at the quilt shops I go to. Some $11 here and there with the big name lines. Only thing I've seen for higher than $11 a yard were the minkee or the extra wide batiks.

I hear you with these ever increasing high prices. I myself have {2} local quilt shops that have back rooms of 50% off some of their fabrics, older and discontinued, I guess, but really nice stuff. So for $5.00 or less a yard, I build up my stash a little at a time. My JoAnn's batiks are $12.95 & up and to me, that's crazy! But when JoAnn's has 50% off their "red tag" sales, I can get a little of this and that {whatever is left on the bolt} of nice quilting fabric for $2.50 a yard. These days, we have to be creative to say the least!

I was in Fabricland (a regular fabric store not a quilting store) yesterday and saw quilting cotton for $17/meter. I was shocked! Of course, that specific table was 'buy one get two free' but even so, just too expensive for my wallet. Thank goodness that part of my quilting enjoyment is finding the fabric at the best price--and that often means ordering from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    lol..lucky you don't live in Australia..try about $22 - $25 a metre...or more
    DITTO here to in Western Australia

and Victoria and Tasmania

I went to a LQS on vacation, too and found the prices over $10.95 a yard. I was shocked because it was an area with lower prices. I'm glad I have a large stash.

After reading this thread I just did a quick search for fabric price differences between the US and Australia. And I found an American website selling MODA fabrics for 1.99 a half yard. YOu would never in a million years get it that cheap in oz.

yes i have notice the prices going up...at least in one of my lqs, they are only marking up the new bolts to $11 a yd, they are leaving the rest at the original prices of $8 - $10 yd.....not all places are doing that, some are marking ALL the fabric to $11+.....it is sooooooo sad!!

Blog Entries
    sad to say but I think they will continue to go up there is a big shortage of cooton and Texas lost most of their crop this year because of drought and even polyester prices will sky rocket as it is an oil by product and as gas goes up so does everything else utilities and everything else is also up for the shop owner

That's why I love buying fabric (and kits) from Connecting Threads. Their prices are very reasonable and I like their fabric... I know there are lots of different opinions on this Board about the quality of CT, but I haven't gotten a bad fabric yet from them. Plus the shipping is free if you spend over $50 (and who doesn't?!).

I have bought a few yards at full price - usually for a swap and the fabric is a perfect fit. However, I will spend hours on line trying to find the cheapest price for a fabric that I can. I have seen the same fabric (such as fairy frost) differ in price over $5.00 a yard for the same color. I know it is the same quality fabric, so I don't get the price difference. There are on-line stores that I don't bother even shopping at because I know they are going to be too pricey. When I find a good deal, I bookmark the site and the next time I need fabric, I start there first.

Jo-Anns has gotten too expensive... unless their fabric is on a good sale. I am a teacher, so I get a 15% discount, which helps.

I refuse to buy fabric at Wal-Mart when the prices are over $6.00 a yard and the fabric feels like crap. I would make my daughter doll clothes and simple dresses with their fabric when it was more reasonable, but at the prices much of their fabric is at now, it is cheaper to buy ready-made dresses and doll clothes. Sewing is not a money-saver anymore!

Not shocking---- I have been reading about this since last September. We all just try to do the best we can.

Because of a crop failure in both major places, yes.

Blog Entries
    I am so glad I love scrap quilts and like to recycle. If you can wash a mans shirt week after week and it still looks good, that is good quilting fabric so far as I am concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by litacats
    Quote Originally Posted by miss_ticky2
    lol..lucky you don't live in Australia..try about $22 - $25 a metre...or more
    DITTO here to in Western Australia
    Ditto Southern Highlands:$21-$26 or $34-$75 inthe fancy shop...

Quote Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
    WHY?!?!?!?! Why are they doing this to us?!?!?!?! I've noticed prices spiking and fewer and fewer good sales! WHY?!?!?!?

Okay, the screaming demon is out now....
    Prices are up EVERYWHERE! How about the grocery store?! And I've been wearing the same old clothes for an eternity. The economy is killing us.........we just have to learn to be more resourceful. The more I look at my older fabrics in my stash, the prettier they become.

And yes, you quilters who are in Australia and other places that have very high prices, I sympathize with you, but we're coming right along behind you. It won't be too long before we will see the same prices.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSevenYearStitch
    WHY?!?!?!?! Why are they doing this to us?!?!?!?! I've noticed prices spiking and fewer and fewer good sales! WHY?!?!?!?

Okay, the screaming demon is out now....
    Shortage of cotton. :-(

Yup...all fabric has increased...due to price of gas/oil...higher that goes higher everything goes...Have you gone to the food market...Milk, butter, bread and some other items better have a 50. And the Gov tells us there's no real increase in Cost of Living....RIGHT

I was just on vacation in Seattle and went to the Undercover Quilt Shop in the Pike's market area in downtown Seattle. Prices for most things in that area are quite a bit higher than I'm used to in Wisconsin. But not the quilt shop! Every beautiful fabric I pulled out to look at was $10/yd. There may have been some higher priced ones but I didn't see them. That is really a great shop! A little hard to find but my girlfriends helped me find it and I'm glad they did!

where have you been? This has been a major discussion on this board for a long time. Do a search and you will see the posts. It just seems that this has taken a long time to filter down in to the stores. We were all warned!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast