Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm So Excited! >

I'm So Excited!

I'm So Excited!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. The old proverb says something like "A journey begins with a single step." You've taken your first steps and are on your way. I have some suggestions, that may have already been given to you, but here goes:

Try everything. You won't know what you love and what you don't until you try.
Take classes. If you have a local quilt shop, see what they have to offer. And there are many online classes you can take, too.
Embrace constructive criticism. We all continue to learn. But don't let anyone make you feel bad because you've done something different. Which leads me to my next one --
Avoid the "quilt police"! Anyone who tells you that there's only one way to do something cannot teach you because they refuse to learn.
Find different quilting groups. You've found us, here, but look for a local group -- a guild or a group that meets at a quilt store. You always learn from others.

And last, but most important, have fun!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

That is what we like to see. Excitement in a beginner. Be sure to post a picture when you get the top done, or even when you have a few blocks. We love to look at each others work.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM

I was an experienced sewer, but had never quilted before. My first quilt was from the book, 'The art of machine piecing'. I sleep under the quilt each night. Many quilts have followed but the first is always so special.
When I bead and make a mistake I call it God's Bead. It reminds me that I am not perfect. In my mind I translate this to quilts and corners and points. It's okay to make a mistake! You are the only one in the world that will know that it is there.
Good luck an happy quilting.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:45 AM

It IS much! Your excitement speaks of good things to come for you as a quilter! (I am still hand quilting my first quilt - for over a decade now. It is a king sized bed quilt, has a bazillion WRONG's, but is cute anyway and I will post a picture some time. What makes me laugh most are the huge hand stitches I started with compared to the small ones that I do now.)
Old 01-05-2010, 08:08 AM

Yeah!! Another quilter. It is always great when someone else gets the bug.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:45 AM

I think it is wonderful that you are so excited. I was there 18 years ago and I am still excited about quilting. I wish when I made my first blocks that I had noted somewhere on the block in the corner on the back just when I made it and what the pattern was. I look back at my very first quilt and remember making it but I can' remember the details I mentioned. I thought later that I should have started taking pictures of the blocks instead and made a photo book of them with the information. Just a thought for you. It keeps the excitement going.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by dlf0122quilting
I think it is wonderful that you are so excited. I was there 18 years ago and I am still excited about quilting. I wish when I made my first blocks that I had noted somewhere on the block in the corner on the back just when I made it and what the pattern was. I look back at my very first quilt and remember making it but I can' remember the details I mentioned. I thought later that I should have started taking pictures of the blocks instead and made a photo book of them with the information. Just a thought for you. It keeps the excitement going.
Thanks for that info. I thought of taking the pictures, but not the info. So many things to think of and a brain that doesn't work!

Marilyn
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Good for you! You're going to love it and you'll be hooked forever!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm excited for you :) I remember the first thing I quilted and how excited I was. I have to say that quilting never gets old or boring for me, I have been quilting for 25 years! I love to do applique, I prefer doing it by hand and sitting in front if the tv! Please share some pics with us!!
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 PM

I saw your post about your second block which was called Sister's Choice. Could you please tell me where I might find that pattern?

Thanks