Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I'm stumped and brain dead

I'm stumped and brain dead

can't seem to wrap my brain around how to put together a pillow sham out of Eleanor Burns Lover's knot pattern. I have the book but it only has directions for the quilts and table runners. I made a king size quilt and now want the shams but can't figure out how to do the shams. Has anyone ever done this and do you mind sharing how you did it?!? I know it's probely something simple to to figure out ,but for the life of me I can't seem to figure it out.
    Thanks and any help very welcome
    Dorothy

Do you want the pillow shams to look like a pillow case?
    Or, do you want them to be purely decorative?

Guess I don't understand what exactly you're needing. Or, is this a quilting question?

I'm not familiar with that pattern...are you trying to shrink the design down so each sham would have the entire quilt pattern represented, or are you going to just use a full-size section of it?

YouTube probably has a bazillion videos about how to make various types of pillow shams, if it's just a construction question you have. If the pattern has a table runner pattern, I bet you could adapt that to be the face of the sham pretty easily....

If a single block would look ok just make 2 blocks, quilt them to a backing and then put an over flap on the back. If a single block won't look good I would make smaller blocks then put 4 together and quilt them and then put a flap back on. Or you can pick a different block pattern and use the same fabrics to coordinate.
    Good luck on your project!

help what is a sham---i know pillow cases[a cover made to encase a pillow]a pillow slip[you slip it over a pillow] diging
    back 50 years mum had a decorative rectangle of fringed which was draped over both pillows at the head of the bed which she called a pillow sham?????

Quote Originally Posted by jemma View Post
    help what is a sham---i know pillow cases[a cover made to encase a pillow]a pillow slip[you slip it over a pillow] diging
    back 50 years mum had a decorative rectangle of fringed which was draped over both pillows at the head of the bed which she called a pillow sham?????
    a pillow sham is basically a cover for a pillow form. one doesn't usually use this for sleeping but for decorative purposes.

purely decorative-I really wanted the lover's knot pattern but do not know how to shrink it down

Blog Entries
    http://www.quilterscache.com/L/LoversKnotBlock.html
    this is 12 inches. i'm sure there are more free pattern sizes out there if you need smaller.
    shams usually have a flange around the pillow size itself. but they can be made like a pillow case too (I am doing one with buttons on each end with only one end opening for pillow insertion).
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...play.asp?i=674

Dordee -- Here is the link for the lovers know placemats (nativetexan -- the link you gave is to a different block) on Eleanor Burns site -- this may give you some ideas about how to make the pattern work for a pillow sham.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I would advise you get some graph paper and draw the Lovers"s knot onto that . Then decide how big you want the shams to be and make each square a certain size. I can't say how big because I don't know what your finished size will be. If you don't have any graph paper you can print some free from the net. Just google free graph paper. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 View Post
    http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponlin...play.asp?i=674

Dordee -- Here is the link for the lovers know placemats (nativetexan -- the link you gave is to a different block) on Eleanor Burns site -- this may give you some ideas about how to make the pattern work for a pillow sham.
    Thanks so much I think this will help me out a little as well as maybe the graph paper