Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm sure this is the right place >

I'm sure this is the right place

I'm sure this is the right place

Old 05-20-2016, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I love linen fabrics and have incorporated linen in many projects. Linen holds up well to frequent use and laundering. I've not had problems with excess wrinkles in a finished project. I have a quilted linen jacket that is Fabulous.
Linen is strong, beautiful drape, launders well- gets softer & softer. Projects made with linen Will last for generations .
my mom has a quilt her great aunt made in embroidered linen-- it is beautiful!
Old 05-20-2016, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Only time I have used linen was for foundation work.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:58 AM

Linen was used for centuries for pillowcases and other bed "linens." It does last for a very long time. As others mentioned it gets softer with each washing. I would launder it a couple times before making up the blanket/quilt. With all-over quilting, it should not look wrinkled (any more than cotton would) and will make a gorgeous nursery ensemble. I look forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by bernamom View Post
Look at Etsy, there are lots of linen quilt and they look great!
Great idea... I'm not sure why I never think to look there. I think we're going to cut a 12 inch block and put it through the laundry and see if she's happy with the result.

Thank you for all your comments and ideas, i knew this was the right place.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:13 AM

I had beautiful linen drapes my MIL purchased at a garage sale. I cut them down to fit my windows and they were wonderful. I made the scraps into the best tea towels in the world.
I can't address linen in quilting but I've had years of experience of doing church linens which must be crisp, smooth and perfectly white.

Here are tips that work:
NEVER use bleach, the linen will end up with pin prick holes.
To get crisp linens, freeze linens when damp...then iron with a dry iron. Do not use starch.
If there is embroidery, iron face down on a padded board.
Large pieces need to be ironed selvage to selvage. It stretches easily if ironed down the length.

Smaller items if you have time and space will air dry perfectly flat. You need a clean, flat, non-porous surface the size of your piece. I use my washer, my freezer, my counter tops, plastic or Formica topped folding tables.
The fabric must be almost dripping wet. Lay face down and without stretching, smooth out and pat out all the bubbles. Make sure the piece is squared up and let dry. I use a fan to speed up the process. Even in humid south Texas this works! When the piece is dry, it peels off and it looks like you ironed it! Much easier on the fabric and you. This works on larger pieces, too. I have put plastic topped folding tables end to end to dry long pieces.
I have lots of linen dinner napkins and this is the way I dry them, it takes a while, maybe a couple of days, but I think it is worth it.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:28 AM

Thank you ziegamomma for sharing your comments and tips.