Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm tired of crawling around on the floor - need clamps >

I'm tired of crawling around on the floor - need clamps

I'm tired of crawling around on the floor - need clamps

Old 03-24-2015, 12:39 PM

Friends, I just have to say a couple more things about how wonderful the Sharon Schamber method is... And I know everyone has the method with which they are most comfortable..... (I won't have my feelings hurt if you don't just love this method! Picture big cheesy grin here!!)

She points these things out and I can attest they are true: 1)no more scratches (on anything) from pins... and no more catching thread on pins 2) no worries about rust 3) the sandwich is stable and will stay stable until you start quilting 4) you don't have to start in the middle and work out 5) you sit, comfortably, and baste! (I use my rolling sewing chair... I have to move some furniture in the living room to baste a quilt, but it's just for a day or two or a few evenings...)I did have to work at it at first, and getting everything straight is still important, and I've even had to unroll and tweak my backing once or twice... but this is the only way for me.

Ok... enough! Happy Quilting everyone!!!
Old 03-24-2015, 01:12 PM
bj

I use binding clamps on my dr table. The only thing I add to the process that I didn't see mentioned is that I use a big marble that I roll under the sandwich to the spots I'm pinning to protect the top of my table from scratches. I hope you find a method that works for you. I could no way crawl on the floor. My knees would rebel and my dog would be way too curious. (0:
Old 03-24-2015, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

[QUOTE=mike'sgirl;7139284]What a good idea. You just make rod pockets, like for curtains, is that right?[/QUOTt

That is the general idea - I just pin the fabric over the ruler or rod - seems to work well enough
Old 03-25-2015, 01:12 AM

I like the marble idea to avoid scratches on the table!
Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I can't baste quilts on the floor any more and don't have room to set up folding tables so I came up with my own solution. I use blue tape to tape the backing and batting to the wall, then pin the top to it. It works great, no bending over or being stuck on the floor because I can't get back up.
This is a really great idea - a really clever solution to the problem. Gravity would help pull out the wrinkles, and no matter how long it takes to pin/baste, you never have to worry about pets walking across it. I always have to get mine done in one day, because if I leave it out overnight the cats will walk across it.

I can also see that the title of this thread should have been, "I'm tired of being stuck on the floor" =)
Old 03-25-2015, 02:03 AM

I love the marble idea. I'd rather buy and store one marble than a whole big thing to go behind the quilt - the less stuff I have to find room to store, the better (I'm a bit of a pack rat and already have enough stuff!). Can you buy a single marble? That's mostly a rhetorical question, I'm sure I can figure it out. It seems like it would make it easier to pin or hand baste, as well as protecting against scratches. I'm always worried that I'm not getting all the layers when I pin.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:38 AM

I use a banquet table and mark the center of the quilt, batting, top as well as centers of the quilt sides. Then I use blue painters tape to secure the layers to the table top. First securing the center section of the quilt with pins or basting spray, then pulling the quilt across the table and re-securing it to baste subsequent sections. Works great, and like you, I detest crawling on the floor. I basted my first 3 quilts on the floor and had such back issues, I either had to find a new way to baste, or give up quilting entirely.
Hope you find a solution that works for you.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:59 AM

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-2-in-...-100027346-_-N

I've used the large binder clips from the office supply store, but they are hard for me to open all of the way. I don't have the strength in my hands that I used to have. I found that the clamps in the attached link are much easier to open and open wider.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:10 AM
Power Poster

I hi-jacked or maybe stole my Husband's clamps from home depot. I find using my glass topped dining table with them are the best way to pin the sandwich. I tried on my large thin top table and does not stay in place very good. Never got on my knees to do it.
Which ever way works for you will be best.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

Crawling on the floor to baste a quilt has not been an option for many years - tow truck anyone??? Not quite, but when the knees don't cooperate it gets harder and harder to get up off the floor. I had a huge kitchen/dining room table with a Formica top that was perfect for pin basting quilts. I could tape the backing, batting and top with masking tape to secure. then beginning at one end of the quilt I would roll it up as I got it pinned, adding masking tape as needed to secure the quilt. Now I use my smaller dining room table (couldn't bring both tables when we moved to an apt., add the extra leaves, and proceed as above. I have also used a very large cutting mat, placed it on my DH's bed, which is higher and more accessible than my bed, tape the layers down and get DH to help me pin. I need to be able to move around the quilt to pin as well as sit when the legs decide enough is enough. When possible I get my best friend to help me pin baste, using banquet tables at the church, or at her home with her large dining room table. As the saying goes, "whatever floats your boat" is what you should use. I have had to make adjustment s over the years to accommodate my aging body and abilities, but whatever it takes so that I can quilt. Without quilting I become a very grouchy person. LOL.