Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help! >

I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help!

I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM

Thanks, everyone. This gives me alot to think about, and I guess I'll start to experiment some. Good information, all of it Connie
Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 AM

My computerized machine will use any thread I choose to use in and on it, both bobbin and top thread. I love Connecting threads thread, I use aurofil and bottom line. I am currently using poly pre-wound bobbins with very fine poly thread and top thread of cotton. Only have to adjust the tension somewhat. All machines are different and no blanket statement covers all. Experimant for your machine and situation.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by homebody323 View Post
I use Dual Duty Coats and Clark and I buy it by the box from Atlanta Thread. Much cheaper than even Walmart.
For redwork dishtowels that are going to end up being bleached I even use it on my embroidery machine. Gives a nice look. Can't complain about any aspect of it. Always does a good job on all 4 of my machines. I do use a variety of other threads for other purposes, but that is my normal piecing thread. Reminds me down to a couple spools of my regulars - need to order more.
That is what I use too! I really like it, all my machines like it. Some of my machines don't like some of the great name brands and some tend to curl more I notice. I just bought Dual Duty Coats and Clark last nite, but will have to check out
Altanta thread.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:55 AM

Thankfully, I haven't found any thread that my machine balks with use. I'm using serger thread in the bobbin nowadays and Coats and Clark Dual Duty in the top and so far everything seems to be doing well. Most of my quilts will be used up and loved, not kept for heirloom quality so I'm not looking for 100 yr quality. I'm just having fun with fabric.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by patski View Post
I just bought King Tut on ebay, it was $18 a spool but they are the large spools, works great not linty and dosen't break
I like King Tut for my quilting machine. I use Mettlers and Sulky and a few other brands for piecing. My machine repairman recommends King Tut and the higher end threads for machines because of damage the others can do to the machine over the long haul as far as the lint, breakage, etc. I think it's like your fabric choices...buy the best you can afford when you can.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:00 AM

I use all brand of thread - I use alot of vintage coats and clark and other brands, but stay away from the "low cost" thread like walmart and kmart and others that I find. For the first time I have had a problem with some 10year+ black coats and clark on my Husky 875Q. When I looked closer at the thread even my 65 years old eyes saw that it was defective! I like using a finer thread in the bobbins as I can fit more yardage on the bobbin.

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Thankfully, I haven't found any thread that my machine balks with use. I'm using serger thread in the bobbin nowadays and Coats and Clark Dual Duty in the top and so far everything seems to be doing well. Most of my quilts will be used up and loved, not kept for heirloom quality so I'm not looking for 100 yr quality. I'm just having fun with fabric.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:07 AM

I agree with what works with your machine - and they do vary! A friend of mine told me to use the "cranky" threads in the bobbin and it works! I love Aurifil! Good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM

Have you changed your needle lately? A quilting sz 10 is a good choice for all around sewing.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:33 AM

I use the thread from Connecting Threads, it is a little linty, but not nearly as linty as Coats & Clark. If you clean your machine out when you change bobbin, it will be no problem. I piece and do simple machine quilting with that thread. Regular price is &2.49 for 1200 yds, but it goes on sale for something like $1.80, which is a real good price.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
I use good 'ole Coats and Clark.
Same here. No problems with my FW of Pfaff using it.