Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help! >

I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help!

I'm totally confused by thread choices....Help!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:07 AM

My favorite is Aurofil. I started with a set of small spools, and then bought a cone. It has been used a lot, and you still can't tell that I've used any! It lasts a long time. I also use prewound poly bobbins. I buy them at the sewing machine repair shop.....100 at a time, for about 35 cents each. They also last forever, and prevent "sewing with no thread", as I sometimes do!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 AM

Metlers causes lint and breakage with one of my machines, and works well with another. Go figure!

My question is when do you use cotton and when do you use poly? when I was new to quilting I was stocking up on threads of different colors and realize most of them are poly -- all my classes state to use cotton. Are they interchangeable?

Last edited by Pete; 03-07-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 AM

I use YLI Soft Touch 60wt to piece with. However, I'm having a hard time finding it online. The LQS where I was buying it went out of business, so I'm looking again. I'm getting ready to try the Connecting threads. Maybe my machine will like it OK. As far as lint, I just clean my bobbin area and the area around the foot each time I change out my bobbin. Same thing on my long arm. I just consider it good maintenance. Using 60wt in the bobbin will extend your bobbin time and you won't have to change it out as often. I also have an assortment of JoAnn's serger polyester cones that my LA doesn't like and I may try that for piecing on my reg. machine. It's very inexpensive and you can make a stand for it to sit on.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:13 AM

I prefer Aurifil for my piecing. I have used Bottom Line on my Pfaff for FMQ, but now I use my LA with Isacord, Superior Threads, and Aurifil Invisible Threads.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:14 AM

I am a beginning quilter and I went through the same thread confusion. heard so much about King Tut and ordered some and got this enormous spool. I felt like a fool. Then I went to Joann's all set to buy Gutterman but they only had polyester. So at least, I went on eBay and bought 2 sets of Aurofil thread a 50 wt for machine work and 28 weight for hand quilting. They are a little goofey on my Husvarna machine because they sit upside down on the plastic knob but my machine seems to like them.
I don't think the world would come to an end if I used polyester thread but I have always used cotton or silk for garment sewing mainly because my Mother ( a pattern fitter and professional seamstress) always did.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:16 AM

I also have used Connecting Threads thread and all four of my machines like it. I have tried other brands that will work on one machine very well and not at all on another but Connecting Threads has work on all for years.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:53 AM

Superior Thread all of their products (except masterpiece but that is because i am annoyed by alex anderson)
Aurifil for piecing my computer machine loves it

My SINGER 301A would sew with fish line or rope (probably) but she gets the good thread also

old coats and clark was ok the new breaks and then decorates the trash bag
Old 03-07-2012, 10:11 AM

I piece by machine and hand quilt. I'm still looking for a good piecing thread other than Coats and Clark. I don't like guttermann either for piecing or quilting (too much lint in the machine and their hand quilting thread seems to break easily.) Coats and Clark quilting thread is good and I use the dual duty for piecing (however, it still creates a ton on lint for me). I really really like King Tut for hand quilting but haven't tried it in my machine yet. I'm going to try Masterpiece from Superior and see how it does.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM

I use all the different threads including Coats & Clark and Connecting Threads in my high end Bernina 440 EQ and she doesn't mind at all. It greatly depends on what I am sewing at the time. Test out all different types of thread. You will find you like different threads for different reasons and fabrics. Have fun testing.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:07 PM

Just my 2cents......took a class last night, and the instructor told us Coats and Clark now has a coating on it to reduce the "Fluff" issues, and if used a lot in the newer computer machines, the coating can cause the tension discs to freeze up. She recommended aurofil and mettler (neither of which are sold in her shop, so I don't think it was a biased opinion). I have always used mettler....will have to give aurofil a try.