Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right?? >

I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right??

I'm trying to upsize my Omigosh quilt pattern and can't get the measurements right??

Old 01-08-2014, 08:23 AM

Looks like each block is equal to a 9patch, if that be so any number divisible by 9 would work.....9, 18,27,36........ That would be the easiest way....
Old 01-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
I finished my first Omigosh quilt earlier in 2013. See here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t217824.html

I would like to now make this pattern in a larger format and am struggling with finding measurements that work. The key is that the tiny square blocks in the 4 patches must be the same size as the tiny squares in the tiny 9 patches but the measurements have to work such that the size of the 4 patch when put in a square in a square block has to be equal to the 9 patch block.

The measurements in the Omigosh pattern as it is written work perfectly. I have only found sorta close. If I cut the strips at 1.5 inches --the 9 patch would finish at 3 inches and the 4 patches would finish at 2 inches. Making the 2 inch (finished) 4 patch into a square in a square results in a bit excess background around the corners of the 4 patch (around 1/8 of an inch or a little less). Not a huge amount and I haven't finished up beyond making the 4 patch square in square block. A 1.5 inch (unfinished) strip measurement will result in a 9 inch finished shoo-fly block and large 9 patch block.

Just wondering if you have upsized this pattern and would be willing to share with me your measurements for your strips? Thanks.
Is a 9" finished block your goal?
Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 AM

This has been driving me crazy so finally this morning I pulled out some strips and started playing. I made some four-patches using 1.5 inch strips, then took a couple 3" squares, cut them on the diagonal, and used them to make the square in a square. Pressed carefully and then trimmed down the block to 3.5 inches unfinished. Does that accomplish what you are wanting to do? (I am so making this quilt!)
Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
If the 9 patch pieces and the 4 patch are the same size, this is a pattern that never should work out. I suspect the reason it does is the very small size - the amount the pieces are out is hidden by the level of accuracy possible at that size.

For those interested in the math - you want a 9 patch equal to a 4-patch square-in-a-square. If I am seeing the pattern correct that means that the length of 3 of the small blocks (the size of the 9 patch) has to equal the diagonal length of 2 of the small blocks (in the 4-patch). But, math tells me the 9-patch has a size of 3x (3 times the strip width). And the 4-patch has a size of 2.83 times the strip time (2 * square root 2). Doesn't matter what your strip width is - the sizes won't match.

Your 4-patch strips need to be 1.06 times the size of your 9-patch strips. As I said - negligible when the strip is less than an inch wide. At 1.5" for the 9-patch, the 4-patch should be 1 and 1/16 inch. At 2" for the 9-patch, the 4-patch should be 2 1/8.

But the 4patch blocks are set on point compaired to the 9patch blocka, so the 4 patch is the center of a 'square in a square' block.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:47 PM

Thanks to a very helpful poster that played around in EQ and sent me the results, I was able to make a sample set of blocks using the measurements I want. Below is a photo of the sample blocks I made for my original Ohmigosh next to the sample blocks I made resulting in a finished 9 inch block.
Attached Thumbnails omigosh-ocean-sm-size.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 02:29 PM

that quilt is totally amazing. truly truly.

i have nothing else to offer but my admiration....especially considering you would make it again!

aileen
Old 01-19-2014, 07:12 AM

Love the yummy blues and teals. I've started one, have one little four-patch in a square up on my design board. I'm using batiks and hand-dyes in rainbow colors for mine.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:20 AM

Thanks stillclock. Making this quilt is a little like giving birth, after it is over and you have a quilt to admire, you forget most of the pain. Making these new sample blocks brought it back a bit. The larger size of strips will definitely make it a bit easier but it is still a very labor intensive quilt.

DDuMouchel--I used rainbow batiks for my original Ohmigosh and loved how it came out (I grouped the colors together and moved from one color to the next going from light to dark in a diagonal direction-but I've also seen the colors mixed up and that looks great too).

I have purchased a huge collection of blues, aquas, teals, greens, and complimenting light backgrounds for a Judy Martin log cabin. I like the colors and fabrics so much, I'm going to use those for this Ohmigosh as well. I also want to make a blue/green Storm at Sea someday. So many quilts to make, so little time!!!
Old 01-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Power Poster

The squares in the 4- patch unit are larger than the squares in the 9-patch unit.

The width of the finished square in the 9- patch unit is x and the width of the finished squares in the 4- patch unit is approximately 1.414x.

Example: if you were making a 6- inch finised size 9-patch unit, each square would finish at 2 inches wide and the strips would be cut 2-2/2 inches wide.

The finished size of the square in the 4- patch that goes with that would be ( the square root of 2) multiplied by 2. 1.414 * 2 equals 2.828 inches. Cut strip size would be 3.328 inches.

The easiiest way IMO is to draw what you want on graph paper, and then add seam allowances to the pieces.

( pythagorean theoem)
Old 01-19-2014, 09:24 AM

bearisgray--my 9 inch finished sample above was made using the same size square for both the small 9 patches and the 4 patches (1 inch finished). The float space around the 4 patch when put in a square in a square is slightly larger (about 1/32 of an inch) but it doesn't seem to visually affect the results.