Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: incorporating thread crochet into quilting

  1. #1
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    I LOVE to thread crochet and I LOVE to quilt. Has anyone had any luck incorporating both and, if so, how?

  2. #2
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    What are you thinking of using ... round doilies? or strips of lace-like crochet?

    Haven't done it ... though have some work that might be candidates! so am curious what the wise ones have to say!

    Would think we'd overlay it on fabric and need to sew it in place when assembling the quilt ... hand sew? or machine?

  3. #3
    Super Member jeaninmaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maine, Where else!
    Posts
    1,575
    If you're doing any kind of crazy quilting, you can make all kinds of embellishments with thread crochet. I have a book of Christmas ornaments that includes a great fan and a few other things that if I make them in ecru will be great for on a crazy quilt, and there are tons of patterns for flowers and leaves, butterflies, dragonflies, spiders, etc that done in thread would be beautiful. And don't forget lace edging for along a seam.

  4. #4
    bj
    bj is offline
    Super Member bj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ft. Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,569
    I've seen crazy quilts and quilted pillows with doilies incorporated into them.

  5. #5
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Don't really know. Thought about the possibility of inserting a straight crocheted edging into a seam and around a block(???) Also, entertained the idea of a small round doily inside of a plain quilt block.....also, thought about inserting a straight edging around perimeter of a quilt similar to the way they insert large rickrack or around one inside border. Just looking for something different and unique.

  6. #6
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've seen crazy quilts and quilted pillows with doilies incorporated into them.
    I'm wondering how they would wash ....would the doily shrink more than the quilt fabric? Would you tack just the outside edges I wonder ...or (???)

  7. #7
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by bj
    I've seen crazy quilts and quilted pillows with doilies incorporated into them.
    I'm wondering how they would wash ....would the doily shrink more than the quilt fabric? Would you tack just the outside edges I wonder ...or (???)
    Shrink it first!
    (the old pre-wash/shrink argument starts again!!!:))

    ... I'm thinking if we got it stabilized well when assembling, it would help. Minimal machine stitching with a lot of hand stitching, which if done carefully would be pretty much invisible.

  8. #8
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Yes, you're right . Don't as a rule shrink my quilting fabric but would have to in this case. The thread crochet edging I would probably wash in hot water to shrink it's maximum prior to insertion because the thread crochet shrinks a LOT more than the fabric. Just thought it would make a very romantic, maybe just throw if used with a floral fabric.

  9. #9
    Super Member Evie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    17
    Looking forward to the suggestions. My mom left dozens of crocheted pieces. My sisters and nieces and I have taken what we want, but the others are there yet to be put to use. Thought about incorporating them into quilts, but how?

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Sturbridge, Ma
    Posts
    4,014
    There is a book about this. Can't remember the name now or the author. She cut the linens with lace, doilies etc into 1/4 and inserted them into the corners of squares like fans. I have also seen Grandmothers Fan quilts with the lace on the outer edge.

  11. #11
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Looking forward to the suggestions. My mom left dozens of crocheted pieces. My sisters and nieces and I have taken what we want, but the others are there yet to be put to use. Thought about incorporating them into quilts, but how?
    Have you thought about mounting some of them in frames? Still waiting for suggestions from others in re to the idea of a quilt. :-)

  12. #12
    Junior Member OnTheGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    271
    You're only limited by your imagination! Have fun with this project!

  13. #13
    Super Member cjaye44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    AL
    Posts
    1,541
    Blog Entries
    16
    Way back in 1977 I went to the First Continental Quilting Congress in Virginia and what a show of quilts that was!! I saw Jinny Beyer's quilt "Ray of Light" which won first prize in the Good Housekeeping contest. But, back on the subject at hand...there was also a gorgeous christening quilt which had 6" round doilies appliqued on a royal blue velvet background. I don't crochet but I thought it was such a unique way to combine the two art forms. I should think that if you were to use the finer weight of thread it would work just fine. I don't think it would be practical for an everyday quilt but what an heirloom it would make!!

  14. #14
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    I use the crochet thread a lot when making projects. I zig zag stitch over the thread on a fabric tube and then pull the thread to make pretty rouching effects.

  15. #15
    Super Member TonnieLoree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    La Grande, OR
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There is a book about this. Can't remember the name now or the author. She cut the linens with lace, doilies etc into 1/4 and inserted them into the corners of squares like fans. I have also seen Grandmothers Fan quilts with the lace on the outer edge.
    I didn't read the book, but I saw an episode on Simply Quilts where an 8-sectioned doily was cut into quarters. When inserted into the corner, each section looked like a heart. It was a Valentine's episode.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    167
    I had a customer who took her mother's doilies and hand embroidered pillowcases etc to an amish woman and had her incoorperate them into a quilt. It was the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. I just couldn't get over how lovely it was. She got it back just when I was finished painting the house and we picked a wall to hang it on that did not have full sunlight. Just beautiful. Next time she calls me back to do something I will get a pic and maybe by then i will have learned how to post pics!

  17. #17
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by pjemark
    I had a customer who took her mother's doilies and hand embroidered pillowcases etc to an amish woman and had her incoorperate them into a quilt. It was the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. I just couldn't get over how lovely it was. She got it back just when I was finished painting the house and we picked a wall to hang it on that did not have full sunlight. Just beautiful. Next time she calls me back to do something I will get a pic and maybe by then i will have learned how to post pics!
    Oh, I hope so....would love to see it!

  18. #18
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Thanks to all for your many helpful suggestions and interest!

  19. #19
    Senior Member GrammaBabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Middleboro,MA
    Posts
    613
    I say anything that's beautiful and hand done,,, is perfect for a quilt....All quilts don't have to be "washable".. some are pure artwork or eye candy... and yes, i saw the SQ show with the doiles cut,,, the sky's the limit with art quilts....

  20. #20
    Super Member Evie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,821
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There is a book about this. Can't remember the name now or the author. She cut the linens with lace, doilies etc into 1/4 and inserted them into the corners of squares like fans. I have also seen Grandmothers Fan quilts with the lace on the outer edge.
    I didn't read the book, but I saw an episode on Simply Quilts where an 8-sectioned doily was cut into quarters. When inserted into the corner, each section looked like a heart. It was a Valentine's episode.
    Just wondering: Wouldn't the crochet stitches start coming apart? After all, they are just "chain stitches." Just wondering how it can be done without everything unraveling!

  21. #21
    Super Member Wonnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,736
    Blog Entries
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Evie
    Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    There is a book about this. Can't remember the name now or the author. She cut the linens with lace, doilies etc into 1/4 and inserted them into the corners of squares like fans. I have also seen Grandmothers Fan quilts with the lace on the outer edge.
    I didn't read the book, but I saw an episode on Simply Quilts where an 8-sectioned doily was cut into quarters. When inserted into the corner, each section looked like a heart. It was a Valentine's episode.
    Just wondering: Wouldn't the crochet stitches start coming apart? After all, they are just "chain stitches." Just wondering how it can be done without everything unraveling!
    That was one of my concerns. Think it would probably be better to do an edging to go around the blocks with no raw edges.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.